Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Expected pad life on rear brakes?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by robytar, Oct 10, 2011.

1. robytar

robytar New Member

Hello, I removed the rear wheels on my truck just to inspect the condition of the rear brake pads and was surprised that it looks like maybe 25% lining remaining on the pads. My truck has the original 26,300 miles from an older one owner man. He never used the truck for any real work (hauling or towing). I usually always get well over 80k (got 175k on my T-Bird) on the rear pads on all the other vehicles I have owned. Is this kind of wear normal? BTW, the front pads are factory original too and look like they have approx 50% lining left.

Thanks!
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

What Year Truck??.....
  3. robytar

robytar New Member

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 Extended Cab
  4. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

....26K miles on an 02".......and the brake pads are the ones from the Factory........WOW!!!......I would first have them checked, because of them being 10yrs old and then have the Brake pads checked with a Brake Pad Gauge, to get a Reading on how much Brake Pad Life is Left for both the Front and Rear pads.........Also just my .02......I would go with and Install and New Set of Front/Rear Brakes Pads and do Flushing of the system.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

GM buys the cheapest brake components they can, I have never gotten over 20,000 miles on a stock rotor because they warp before the pads wear. I usually get two sets of front brakes before the back ones need changed and when I do I do new wheel cylinders and springs because there cheap.
  6. LURCH

LURCH Rockstar

I bought a new 2000 GMC and got 85K out of the brakes. The rear was a little better than the front, I replaced all rotors and pads. My 2011 doesn't even have 4 wheel disc, go figure.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I got 35K out of my rear brake pads (4wheel disc like yours) before they were metal on metal (i didnt realize they wore out that fast either) i put on a set of decent pads that put out as little dust as possible, and had the rotors turned. When i got rid of the truck with over 65K miles the pads were still over 75% on the rear, and the fronts where a bit better since they needed to be replaced about 50K. Just make sure you service the rear sliders while your in there since they can hang up and cause the pads to wear very uneven.
  8. robytar

robytar New Member

Any suggestions on how to service the sliders? I assume get off all the dirt, dust and grit then apply some kind of lubricant? I have changed many sets of brakes both disc and drum so I am familar. Lastly, I am not used to buying new rotors along with pads as some have been talking about. Maybe I am old school but I usually always get a lot of miles on a set of rotors. My 1985 Toyota pickup still has the original rotors with 289k miles & my 97 T-Bird has 207k miles on all 4 wheel discs rotors.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

CRC makes a Brake&Caliper grease, part # 05359, 8oz. can with a brush inside. Works very well. Just clean of your slides and put the grease on.
  10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I've always heard that GM brake pads wear fast.The front pads on my wife's Uplander were almost completely worn at 25,000 kilometers