1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Express 3500 6.0 liter tranny temp

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by hardybob, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hardybob

hardybob New Member

Does anyone know if there is a way to capture tranny temp? I have a scan gauge II and i have tried everything i can to get the temp, but nothing comes up. Ihave a roadtrek van camper that is 9600 lbs and knowing the temp in mountains would really be a help.
    lthanks

hardybob
  2. hardybob

hardybob New Member

After a year with no replies, i thought i would try this again. Are there no users out there with experience on tranny temps and scan gauge II ?

thanks

hardybob
  3. tsbrewers

tsbrewers New Member

you will probably have to buy an aftermarket temp gauge kit. I would also install a good cooler if you haven't yet. I think if you installed one like this, you wouldn't need to worry about the temp much.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00803CTDA
  4. SolWav

SolWav New Member

Use a Hayden trans cooler on my G3500 and B3500 (Dodge) and have no trans issues. I do not have tranny temp gauges, though the engine temp runs noticeably lower during the warmer temps. Also I pull trailers well over 9000lbs several times a year with no trans performance issues. That trans cooler tsbrewers posted the link for certainly is impressive but I believe overkill.

A trans shop could supply you with a custom trans line with a provision for trans temp adaptor.

Best of luck and have a great summer.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  5. 65taurus

65taurus New Member

Hardybob, Not sure if you have had any success yet with the ScanGauge II and getting your tranny temperature to display, but I also have a ScanGauge II and display the transmission temp for both my 01 Silverado (4L60E) and my 02 Express 3500 (4L80E). It displays with the suffix "TFT". I configured the ScanGauge to do so a few years ago using information from the ScanGauge website which I found here: http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/gm-specific/ and the user manual under user programmable gauges/commands.

Give it a try, it is very handy. Good luck.

65Taurus
  6. hardybob

hardybob New Member

Thanks, 65taurus. Yes, tried the different combinations, and both program versions. Others older and newer than mine seem to get it to work, so don't know if it is just my 6/06 mfr date with the 6.0 liter engine and tranny setup that gm did. If anybody has any other ideas i would be interested.

Hardybob