Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Extended cab or 4 Door

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bigbomber, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Just curious to know why you guys picked either an extended cab or 4 door?,and is anyone sorry they picked one and didn't go with the other.In my case the dealer gave me a 4 door hybrid to drive until mine came in.I went to pick up some doors and they didn't fit because of the short box when i drove home they were soaked because of a thunderstorm so i was glad i picked the 6'6"box extended.We also own a 2006 uplander so space for the family wasn't a issue when i purchased the truck.

2. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Anybody care to voice their opinion here?anybody?

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The last truck I bought I chose 4 doors for convenience and it fit into the project I was planning (used early 80's dually 6+6 long bed) but prior to that I chose according to what I could afford at the time.
    I havent looked at new trucks in a couple years but I'm sure theres still a noticeable price difference between ext cab and 4 door trucks.
    I'll be looking at trucks in the not to distant future and I plan on getting a 4 door short bed, I know I'll give up bed space in this configuration but I have a 22' utility trailer I can use if I need more room and I dont haul as much these days.

4. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if i can do it all over again, i would get a crew cab instead of my extended cab. don't get me wrong, i like my extra cab. it served it's purpose when i wasn't married with a daughter. i'm still able to utilize the extra cab...but now i wish i would've spent the extra $$$ for the crew cab. but i still love my extra cab.

5. RVJ

RVJ Rockstar 100 Posts

I bought the Extended cab strictly for the looks. I rarely haul anyone in the rear and rarely haul anything in the box. I just happen to like the way it looks and it serves my purposes nicely.

6. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

I have had both... Extended cabs before kids and crew cabs after kids. Both have their plus'/minus'. Right now since the kids are out of the car seats, I would go back to a an extended cab if it was not my primary vehicle. If it was the primary traveling vehicle I would have a crew cab again. For now we are pick-up less and the burban meets our needs. I may look at picking up a used excab in the near future for hauling wood, lumber and such around town.

7. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

My dad has ext. cab, many people I know have had ext. cabs. Although I didn't like the look of a crew cab at first, over time I realized it was what really suited me. I never haul full 8 foot sheets of plywood and since my truck is my only vehicle I opted for passenger comfort over cargo space. However, the seats in the back fold down almost completely flat so I have plenty of cargo space in the back seat that is out of the rain elements.

Like everyone else, on the rare occasion that I need more cargo space, I'll use a trailer. Also, since this is my only vehicle, getting groceries and getting them in the back seat of a crew cab is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get around the suicide doors in a tight parking lot to get them in an ext. cab!

If I find myself at a point in my life where I feel I need the extra bed room, I'll look into upgrading to a new 2500HD crew cab with a 6.6 foot or even 8 foot box. You CAN have the best of both worlds if you need passenger room, and bed space, just get a 2500HD instead of the 1500!

8. lalo56

lalo56 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a crew cab because i was thinking in the future when i have kids. I hate having to open the door to let people in and out of the back. Also like the room in the cabin. I sometimes have to sit back there when i am under the influence and my GF is the DD and let my guest sit in front. Plenty of leg room and sit comfortably.

9. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree. I don't understand why they don't make the crew cab available with the 6'6" bed instead of the 5'6". I think it would look MUCH better AND be more useful.

10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have had both as well. Crew cabs are great for hauling all the gear, dogs, and people when going on a fishing trip.. The extended cab also works for me since i usually like to keep my Rods inside the truck. I wish i had a 3rd door on it though for the rare occasion when i have extra people in the truck.. I went with a long bed 8ft this time because my sleds didnt fit to well in the 5.5 bed.. And i have a tool box that mounts to the bed floor and i still want to be able to haul my sleds.. the tools are for repairing the sleds, and the boat..