Extended cab or 4 Door

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bigbomber, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Just curious to know why you guys picked either an extended cab or 4 door?,and is anyone sorry they picked one and didn't go with the other.In my case the dealer gave me a 4 door hybrid to drive until mine came in.I went to pick up some doors and they didn't fit because of the short box when i drove home they were soaked because of a thunderstorm so i was glad i picked the 6'6"box extended.We also own a 2006 uplander so space for the family wasn't a issue when i purchased the truck.

2. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Anybody care to voice their opinion here?anybody?

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The last truck I bought I chose 4 doors for convenience and it fit into the project I was planning (used early 80's dually 6+6 long bed) but prior to that I chose according to what I could afford at the time.
    I havent looked at new trucks in a couple years but I'm sure theres still a noticeable price difference between ext cab and 4 door trucks.
    I'll be looking at trucks in the not to distant future and I plan on getting a 4 door short bed, I know I'll give up bed space in this configuration but I have a 22' utility trailer I can use if I need more room and I dont haul as much these days.

4. j-schmizzle

j-schmizzle Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

if i can do it all over again, i would get a crew cab instead of my extended cab. don't get me wrong, i like my extra cab. it served it's purpose when i wasn't married with a daughter. i'm still able to utilize the extra cab...but now i wish i would've spent the extra $$$ for the crew cab. but i still love my extra cab.

5. RVJ

RVJ Rockstar 100 Posts

I bought the Extended cab strictly for the looks. I rarely haul anyone in the rear and rarely haul anything in the box. I just happen to like the way it looks and it serves my purposes nicely.

6. Sandhopper

Sandhopper Rockstar 100 Posts

I have had both... Extended cabs before kids and crew cabs after kids. Both have their plus'/minus'. Right now since the kids are out of the car seats, I would go back to a an extended cab if it was not my primary vehicle. If it was the primary traveling vehicle I would have a crew cab again. For now we are pick-up less and the burban meets our needs. I may look at picking up a used excab in the near future for hauling wood, lumber and such around town.

7. Big_Ben

Big_Ben Rockstar 100 Posts

My dad has ext. cab, many people I know have had ext. cabs. Although I didn't like the look of a crew cab at first, over time I realized it was what really suited me. I never haul full 8 foot sheets of plywood and since my truck is my only vehicle I opted for passenger comfort over cargo space. However, the seats in the back fold down almost completely flat so I have plenty of cargo space in the back seat that is out of the rain elements.

Like everyone else, on the rare occasion that I need more cargo space, I'll use a trailer. Also, since this is my only vehicle, getting groceries and getting them in the back seat of a crew cab is a hell of a lot easier than trying to get around the suicide doors in a tight parking lot to get them in an ext. cab!

If I find myself at a point in my life where I feel I need the extra bed room, I'll look into upgrading to a new 2500HD crew cab with a 6.6 foot or even 8 foot box. You CAN have the best of both worlds if you need passenger room, and bed space, just get a 2500HD instead of the 1500!

8. lalo56

lalo56 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a crew cab because i was thinking in the future when i have kids. I hate having to open the door to let people in and out of the back. Also like the room in the cabin. I sometimes have to sit back there when i am under the influence and my GF is the DD and let my guest sit in front. Plenty of leg room and sit comfortably.

9. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

I agree. I don't understand why they don't make the crew cab available with the 6'6" bed instead of the 5'6". I think it would look MUCH better AND be more useful.

10. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I have had both as well. Crew cabs are great for hauling all the gear, dogs, and people when going on a fishing trip.. The extended cab also works for me since i usually like to keep my Rods inside the truck. I wish i had a 3rd door on it though for the rare occasion when i have extra people in the truck.. I went with a long bed 8ft this time because my sleds didnt fit to well in the 5.5 bed.. And i have a tool box that mounts to the bed floor and i still want to be able to haul my sleds.. the tools are for repairing the sleds, and the boat..