1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extended Cab Roof Racks?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by CaptainCal565, Sep 7, 2012.

1. CaptainCal565

CaptainCal565 New Member

Hi, I'm new here. But, I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 Ext. Cab. I was wondering if anyone has done one before, and what the outcome was. I have only been able to find roof racks for crew cabs online. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member ROTM Winner

ive never done one but check out autoanything.com im sure they would have what your looking for. also could try 4wheelonline.com if autoanything doesnt have it.
  3. CaptainCal565

CaptainCal565 New Member

I have looked through all those sites before. I'm kind of looking for a more aggressive look. Here's one one Defender that I like but it only fits crew cabs. http://www.defenderracks.com/catalog/LightCage.jpg Anyone know of something like that for extended cab?
  4. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 New Member ROTM Winner

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

I've had the roof rack, on my truck, apart. It is probably very similar to the rack for the crew cab trucks.

Each side has 3 main parts, the front and rear end pieces that bolt to the truck, and the side rail. The side rail is extruded aluminum; so, it is the same shape through out it's length.

I am sure the crew cab model could be cut down to fit a crew cab.
  6. barefoot greg

barefoot greg New Member

I'm searching the net right now trying to find one aswell, with the same results. I really like the Defender but like said I can only find them for crew cabs. The 4' x 5' x 4" is what they list for the crew cabs but they also offer a 4' x 4' x4" and I think thats what you and I are looking for.

My trucks got about an inch of ice and a foot on the snow on the roof right now so measuring my roof isn't an option.

Does anybody know how long the roof is front to rear on an 04 silverado extended cab?
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Sorry, I never measured mine...
  8. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

Captain,

Go back into the defender site and look at the bolt together model (ignore links to gallery). I think I would buy the bolt-together, and leave the center piece out, or modify their center-piece to fit your need. It would be a snap to do...you can get the appropriate tubing sleeves from Home Depot, and it would look factory. I like that idea.

Or, you could go all the way custom, doing your own with tubing from HD. Use a tubing bender to get the bends you want from a 16' piece of tubing, then join them using the next size up tubing as a sleeve. Use lightweight 2" flat bar stock, also from HD, and cut it and bend it to fit the size you need. Seriously, if you drew it up to fit exactly what you wanted, I bet the stock would not cost over $30, plus your choice of paint color (body match???), and could be done in maybe three or four hours, tops. Wish you lived close...that would be a fun project to do. No welding needed, sheet metal screws all the way, would be very stout, and tight-looking.

Jim, Las Vegas.
  9. SEMiller

SEMiller New Member

Wow, that's cool. post back if you find one that is an exact fit or if you decide to modify one as suggested by buckmeister2.
  10. Maverick8298

Maverick8298 New Member

I like the Defender 50x50, but as a Duck Dynasty fan, Willie has a Yakima rack that looks very similar to the Defender rack on his ext cab. He's got the newest body style of couse, but it looks damn good. duck-dynasty-silverado.jpg