1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extended Cab VS. Crew Cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by ProzacKid, Mar 4, 2006.

1. ProzacKid

ProzacKid Rockstar 100 Posts

I was doing some thinking between the crew cab's heavier GVW over the ext. cab.

The 1500 crew cab has a 7000 GVW. All other 1/2 tons are 6200 or 6400 GVW. What makes it rated higher? Springs? Is the frame bigger?

I dont think it has the same frame as the 1500HD. Anybody know why its rated at 7000 lbs ?
  2. 496truck

496truck New Member

It's my understanding that when a truck is rated as a half ton (like the 1500) it should be capable of holding 1000 lbs in the cargo box. With that said you need to consider the rest of the truck "fully loaded" ie: 4 or 5 passengers, a full tank of gas, the extra weight of the larger body and extra doors and all the vehicles fluids. I believe they accomplish the extra load capacity with different springs and shocks. If you've ever looked through a GM parts catalog for shocks it is an absolute nightmare without proper suspension codes, and knowing what they mean, cause there are a million choices. Springs too.
  3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sounds pretty fair I suppose. The minium payload (cargo) should be 1000 lbs that it can carry. This has stabalized over the years, it didn't use to be this way. The Gross Vehicle Weight is the most that you can have on the tires at any time so they don't explode. That includes fuel, passangers, etc.
  4. 496truck

496truck New Member

You nailed it! That's what I was trying to say! I just put too many words in there...
  5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Anyone else have anything to add to this thread??? :party:Join the party.
  6. DaveyBoyo

DaveyBoyo Rockstar

Yeah a little off topic but if we're discussing Ext. Cab vs Crew Cab I've got somethin to add...

As an Ext. Cab owner, i'll be honest - I hate it. What the heck is the point of an Ext. cab anyways? Either have a reg. cab or a crew. I HATE having to open my door every time I want to let someone in the back, and then having to wait for them to close their door before I can close mine. It's an absolute nightmarish pain in the arse! Wish to heck I'd bought a crew!
  7. blueZ71

blueZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

+1 and it's pretty cramped in the back anyways. I rarely use it for people - more so as storage for clothes, tools, stuff that flies out in the bed... etc
  8. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I agree the crew cab is the way to go for sure, I traded my ext. cab for the crew cab. My mom shut the front door first and then slammed the ext. cab door on top of the front drivers door!..........OUCH:gasp: It made a huge dent in the top of the door, and I screamed at her until I almost lost my voice! Don't try that one at home.
  9. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When I bout my Crew Cab, we already had my Wifes Suburban so it was nice and roomy. We primarily use my truck now as the family hauler.
  10. 04blackz71

04blackz71 Rockstar 100 Posts

i have ext cab and i dont mind it i use it alot for haulin ppl and storage. if you look at this way chevy ext is bigger than dodges crew cab and chevy has more room in the back

i dont mind opening my door to get the other one it be nice to have a crew but when you dont need that much space just need a lil more you have the ext :money: