1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extended Crank Issue

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jaceracer, Jul 19, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Hey guys! I'am new to the forum. Just recently picked up a 2003 silverado 5.3, has 71k on it, 1 owner vehicle. I just started noticing this issue when i brought it home, seems to be everyone's issue hahaha when they test drive it everything is fine and then when you bring it home all hell breaks loose but anyways the truck runs great. I have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires and even sprayed the throttle body out and also ran a can of sea foam threw the brake booster vacuum line that goes into the lower manifold and it still seems to have that starting issue. I have not checked the fuel pressure yet but i find it hard to believe that the pump could be weak if it runs so smooth but i do not know this motor as well as some of you, so any ideas would be great. Hit me back, thank for your time.
  2. Bigg Ron

Bigg Ron New Member 100 Posts

Welcome to the Club!!
    Check the pressure releif valve, it may be blleding your pressure offf and the pump amy need to run before you have pressure.
  3. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Is that separate from the regulator? Where is that relief valve located
  4. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

Are you talking about the service valve where you would check the fuel pressure at? and how should i check this valve by itself??
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. Also try cleaning the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner, its in a silver can. DON'T use carb or throttlebody cleaner. A dirty MAF can send funky signals to the trucks computer and confuse it. A MAF should be cleaned as maintanance AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR. I do mine several times a year.
  6. Revredneck

Revredneck New Member 100 Posts

The first thing I would check for an extended crank issue is the fuel pump relay. Make sure you can hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds when you turn the key to "run" before you start it. If the relay is bad, it won't get fuel till the oil pressure builds up.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  7. Jaceracer

Jaceracer New Member

I did a leak down test and it's defiantly the fuel pump it dropped like a bad habit while testing it.
  8. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member 100 Posts

X2 on revredneck. Chevy fuel pumps are loud when you go to start it turn the key to on, listen for the fuel pump to stop pumping, the start. If it does not stop before starting you are deffenitly losing pressure. If it does stop when you start does it start easier?