Extended warranty

Discussion in 'Chevy Equinox Forum (GMC Terrain)' started by tombarb, Nov 2, 2014.

1. tombarb

tombarb New Member

I just bought a certified 2013 LTZ Equinox. It comes with the bumper to bumper warranty for 12 months/12,000 miles. The car has 48,000 miles so I know the powertrain warranty is good for 5 years 100,000 miles. They offered me an extended warranty for 3 years, 36,000 miles for $900. This would be for the bumper to bumper since the drive train is covered. Does anyone know what the dealer cost is for this or what they paid for this coverage? I don't want to buy it but with so many options and as expensive as it is to fix I am thinking maybe I should. If I do I would like to pay less if I could but I need the info to bargain with. Thanks.

2. squatchy

squatchy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I would imagine they charge more for it used, but I got an extra 3 yr 36k for my 13 when I bought it new for right about 600 I think. I would have to look through the paperwork

3. the phantom

the phantom Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If your going to buy extended warranty be sure to read the fine print. Sometimes these warranties require all the service maintenance be performed by the dealership and ON TIME. I know a guy that had the extended warranty and his transfer case went out on it. Long story short, because he didnt have the truck into the dealer for the the transfer case oil change at 100,000 miles (he was at 105,000 miles) they would not cover the repair. He was within his milage and time frame for the claim but because it wasnt documented that the service intervals were performed he was S.O.L. $1500 dollar warranty he paid and it became useless when he didnt have the maintenance service work performed and DOCUMENTED.

4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I had the GMPP on my Captiva, 5 year, 75K miles. Switched it over to my 12 Nox and it is worth it. My Captiva kept going back to have the $1200 exhaust system replaced multiple times.