Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Extending 4L60E life

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by campuscop2003, Feb 18, 2010.

1. campuscop2003

campuscop2003 New Member

I have been doing some reading and have been getting extremely worried about the all the stories of the 4L60E failures. I currently change the fluid every 10K, with Amsoil ATF, dont beat on it. I plan to install a cooler this spring, I also only use OD when on highway. I drive in 3rd all the time other than stated.I also do not tow or haul. I am broke and if the 4l60 dies, I am going to have to junk the truck, and I love this truck. Is there anything else I can be doing to prolong the life of this trans. It currently has 145K miles and shifts like a dream.

I have been loosing sleep over this since reading online about the 4L60. Please help, Thanks

2. rotaryenginepete

rotaryenginepete Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

first off what kind of truck/motor do you have? second are you having any problems with it yet? third the 700R4/4L60E tranny is a very GOOD transmission. i wouldn't worry too much unless you are already having problems with it, but even then it is a very easy tranny to work on/rebuild and since it is so common usually its not too expensive to have worked on either.

3. Velocity1

Velocity1 Rockstar

I just did PM on my 4l60E. Bought all the components from Oregon Performance trans. During my routine service, (fluid, filter and pan gasket), I installed a Transgo shift kit along with both of the clutch apply servos. My truck has 117k on it. Never had a problem with the trans, but reading here convinced me to do a little PM. All I can say is it's some of the best money I've ever spent. Shifts are crisp and overall performance is improved. If your trans is in as good of shape as you say, now is the time to make these mods. You'll be glad you did.

4. campuscop2003

campuscop2003 New Member

I'm sorry, Its a 1998 Silverado Extended Cab 4X2 with the 5.7 Votec. No problems what so ever. Shifts great, almost shifts like a new trans.

Whats the story with the sunshell failures. reading around the net makes it sound as if the 4L60s are guaranteed to fail. I think my piece of mind would still be in tact if I hadn't wanted to research this trans.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just like anything you tend to hear more of the bad then the good. I have almost 130,000 on mine and all i have done is a fluid filter change, and that was done at 75,000 or so. But I dont pund the piss out of it nor do i have a really juiced up motor. My brother has 87,000 on his 01 Z71 and no problems.

6. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

Trans Go HD2 shift kit and a Vette Servo would be my suggestion

7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've had my 1998 2wd Suburban-1500-for 3 years.The PO had the trans rebuilt at 185,000 miles.It has 212,000 miles now and runs just fine-gets 21 mpg at about 65 mph with the cruise control set.

I don't get the impression that the 4L60E is failure prone. In general folks seem to get 150,000 miles out of them before a rebuilt-that seems about right?

Don't worry about it.Just change the fluid and drive it.
    Charlie

8. TYMBOM

TYMBOM Former Member

If everything is stock, you should be fine. Not to be confused with me liking 4L60's because I hate them.

9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'll add I more item to what has already been mentioned,in keeping your Transmission running strong.which is a Aftermarket Aluminum Finned deep Transmission pan.As everybody would agree that heat is the Killer of Transmission's.

Here is IMO one of the best ones on the market today,
    http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm

I have not only Mag-Hytec's Trans Pan,but also have there rear Diff Cover.For me this has been the best 2 upgrades I have done to my Truck.

BTW....I have a 140,000 on my Trans. and still going strong.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

How can I tell what trans I have