1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

extra batteries? where did you put them?

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by bigbasschevy, Apr 24, 2012.

1. bigbasschevy

bigbasschevy New Member

i'm looking to install at least a couple extra batteries in the truck and was looking for ideas or ways to do so. since they are huge batteries (kinetic 120 amp hr, weigh around 90lbs apiece) i was thinking of mounting them to the front floor of the bed and running the wires through the bed into the cab somehow. there will be 2 runs of 1/0 power wire coming from the front battery to the battery bank, and 2 runs going from the battery bank to the amplifier. i would put them in the cab, but that space has been claimed already lol. any recommendations? :money:
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Build a Battery tray Under the bed. Welded onto the frame. put a hinge on one side and lock on the other. It's out of the way and can easyly be changed if needed..
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Other places I've seen used are inside a truck box and in a custom-made bin UNDER a shallow truck box.
  4. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

image-1299119212.jpg

Back of seat on 2004 extended can silverado!
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

What's that ugly coil of black cable hanging on the wall between the amps? Clean that mess up!
  6. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Haa!! Them grills look like you could cook something on them... I agree clean that extra wire up or you might burn it over the grills lol...
  7. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Now thats clean looking. Nice and organized.
  8. zigger215

image-2145498001.jpg

Had to wait for my cross-overs to arrive. Didn't wanna run wire twice, gosh, such doubters! Lol
  9. zigger215

Right now I'm doing the trim out, hate seeing wires...
  10. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Hey, I've been thinking of somewhere to mount a second battery also! Personally, I wouldn't run it under the truck just because of the way the state de-ices the road (magnesium chloride LOVES wiring!), and was thinking of building a box inside the bed itself to store the battery.