1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Extra Fuel filter / waterfilter

Discussion in 'GM Diesel & DuraMax' started by bbesse, Nov 24, 2009.

1. bbesse

bbesse New Member

hello all,
    When I bought my first 5.7 Chev deisel back in 1977, I put on a Racor Fuel Filter / Water seperator. As a trucker and heavy equipment operator, I KNOW how important it is to keep the fuel clean and the water out. and that Racor followed me thru 2 5.7s and a 6.2.

I am about to jump back in the diesel pond with a 2010 Duramax and haven't see any mention of this. Is the stock filter good enough? Anybody have any comment?

Thanks in advance,
    ...Brent...
    2002 1500HD Crew
    2007 Malibu
    2010 Silverado 2500HD (Just as soon as I can order one)
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Filter Questions

Ive never owned a Duramax but have driven and worked on a few in my day. From my experience, the stock filters are great. Ive only heard only heard of one failing and that was my old school principals. His failed constantly because he made his own biodiesel, which is full of thick fats and grease. But when serviced reguraly and good diesel is used, you'll never have a problem.
  3. Loggerhead Mike

Loggerhead Mike Rockstar 100 Posts

no worry's with the filter. havent had a problem with them in the 5 years ive been working for chevy. keep up with the injector / carbon cleans (not the junk in the can at the parts store) and you'll be fine

the 10's are nice'ns for sure. Kind of a mix between a cadillac and a dozer
  4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

I would definitely put another Racor on your rig. You can never have enough fuel filtration on a diesel. Plus the Racor will filter down much smaller particles (Microns) than the factory unit. It's a cheap investment.