1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

extra lights front and rear

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by coombia21, Sep 30, 2009.

1. coombia21

coombia21 Rockstar 100 Posts

i am going to mount 4 lights on the front bumper to use when heading down the dark wooded roads in the winter and setting up decoys during duck season an i am going to mount 2 to the bottom of the back bumper for when backing up and hooking up trailers
    what lights do you recommend i dont want to spend more than 200-225 for the front lights total and 50-70 for the rear lights not including install

thanks dan
  2. 1S1K

1S1K Rockstar 100 Posts

lights

For the Reverse Lights I went to Wal Mart and bought a pair of driving lights 55W. mounted to under the bumber. they are low profile and dont stick way down. They were under 20 dollars and have a clean crisp light to them. They are wired to my reverse lights... easy 20 min job. They have a broad selection...

I like this idea because if i break a pair hanging below my bumper i am not out a whole lot of money....
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

For the rears try some decent tractor lights. I get them at my John Deere dealer, they are made by Hobbs. They are packaged under Kubota also. About 25 bucks each. MUCH MUCH better light output and pattern than the utility lights at Walmart.

For the fronts, I have no comment. But watch your amp draw, especially if you leave them on with your headlights while the engine is idling.
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you look around and have some patience, you can find some good deals on Hella and KC lights on ebay and on JCWhitney. I have two KC daylighters and believe me two of these are PLENTY of power, with them on you cant even tell that my high beams are on.
  5. coombia21

coombia21 Rockstar 100 Posts

where can i get tractor lights with a harness i like tractor lights better but i cant seem to find them with ones that have harness in them and what would it take to wire them in with me cargo light so when the cargo light is on those lights are on because i cant have my truck in reverse while i am trying to strap down wheelers and decoys
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have been mentally designing a circuit in my head for some time for my auxillary driving lights and reverse lights. The circuit consists of a dual throw single pole switch. You wire it so it flows opposite of how you traditionally think of how the switch works. To one of the on positions, you wire up a line coming from the reverse switch on the transmission. To the other on position on the switch, you wire a constant-power feed. Then the center terminal goes to a relay which then powers the lights. You can do the same thing for your front aux lights by substituting the reverse light feed with something like the high-beam power wire. So, you then have 3 possible positions that you can use: on trigger from the reverse/high beam lights, always off, or always on. I'll try to draw the circuit up in paint when I get home.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As promised, here's my dual-controlled light circuit that can be used in 3 different positions, always on, always off, or switched by an external source (reverse light switch in my case):

[​IMG]

NOTE: I omitted grounds for the light and the reverse light switch as they were not critical to illustrating my point in this diagram.