Extra power out of a 5.3?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 5point3, Jun 2, 2009.

1. 5point3

5point3 Rockstar 100 Posts

Are there any other little things I can do to gain some performance? I have a cai, catback and will be getting it tuned. I know people swap corvette intakes on their ls1 camaro's to gain some power. Are there any swaps like that, we can do?

Thanks, Matt.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Trick Flow and Weiland make intake manifolds for the 5.3, but they are anything but cheap. They will get you about 15hp max, and they only weigh like 5 pounds.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The LS1 car type manifolds will work on your truck, but you will have to change your acceseries drive mounts as they are to tall for the shorter car manifold to clear. Also the car manifold makes power in the higher rpm range. The stock truck manifold makes more bottom end torque. One of the magazines ( I dont remember which magazine) did a comparison between the truck and car manifolds and they concluded it was to much work for the few hp gains. Also unless you make a cam change and head work or both you really dont need a maniflod change. If your looking for more acceleration I make a rear end gear change.

4. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

There's a lot that you can do to gain a few HP here and there. E-fans, underdrive pullies, injectors, headers. Try checking out performancecenter.com or lmctrucks for some ideas. Just make sure you tune to compensate for a lot of these upgrades.
    -Greg

5. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Long tube headers
    cams
    bigger injectors
    efans or ls1 fans to cool everything down