1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

extremely bad autozone

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mudpuppy, May 31, 2011.

1. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

ok here it is. both of my cv axle's are bad. i got 1 which is all they had in stock and after installing it i found its bad to. the old axle fell apart into pieces once removed so it can longer be used. the autozone at 1813 1ST CAPITAL
    ST CHARLES , MO 63301
    (636) 723-8804 manager Cory
    tells me to just take the cv axle back out and drive up there (with no cv axle installed) and he would give me a new cv axle. i told him it doesnt work that way. you need to have the cv shaft installed in the hub before driving it. he replies with his friend did it without a problem. i replied with im not your friend and i have no intention of buying a new hub from you to. so no, its not going to happen. he became confused and after a few ahh huh ahh's i got i dont understand why you think it needs something there. at this point his stupidity had done insulted me enough i just hung up.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

sorry to hear this.. Have you spoken to a District Mang?
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I got mine from NAPA for about $100.00 exchange each side and the saleman had a brain.LOL.
  4. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel New Member

Don't waste your time with Autozone for CV axles. O'reilly auto parts has better CV axles. Especially if they are going on a lifted truck. I replaced my buddy's CV's and they were both bad so we took them back and went to O'reilly and got two good ones. just my two cents
  5. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

I second using O'Reilly's. The closest one to me is 26 miles, and the closest auto parts store is a Napa just 5 miles. I gladly drive to O'Reilly's because of the knowledgeable staff that actually HELPS!
  6. Michael Johnson

Michael Johnson New Member

Thats one of the problems with getting auto parts. The Napa near me has much more experienced people than the local autozone or any other place. They are a family owned place and have been in business for 30 plus years. I think that the quality of parts are pretty much the same and the we can get bad parts from any place but what we really need to look for is employees that know what they are talking about and are willing to truly help you. I am sure that you had a bad experience but I would suggest looking for a place that has experienced employees willing to go the extra mile rather than saying that any one brand is no good.
  7. alabamaxrebel

alabamaxrebel New Member

From my experience, I get my suspension/mechanical stuff from O'reilly and my brakes from Advanced. Other than that I usually don't buy too much from the other places. O'reilly's in my area tends to be about $10 cheaper than the rest and I have had no problems with their stuff.
  8. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

I get 99% of my parts from Advance. And the CV axles i have gotten in the past have held up and i paid $96 after tax with a lifetime warranty.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think it all comes down to finding a person in any auto parts store that knows there stuff. I go to the NAPA store because the salesman I use has been there forever.
  10. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member

I usually get everything from auto zone because of there warranty policies. I have put in many half shafts from A Z and never had a problem with one. I have bought one pair of pads after replacing them three times now. Only problem i have ever had was with a alternator that tested good on their machine but didn't work in the car. really you can drive your 4 wheel drive vehicle without a half shaft in the front. I have done it in an old chevy work truck from kentucky to ohio. blew the shaft near the tire so cut the boot near the axle pulled out the middle of the shaft and continued on. it was 2am on the way home from being gone for two weeks. but i understand your frustration totally!