Extremely frustrated!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crakums_GT, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

OK, I need some advice here. I have 18" MB Wheel Predators with 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers. The tires have about 25k miles on them and I got off my 12-hour night shift to find the front passenger one flat. I took it to get it repaired and I just got a call saying that the damage is in the side wall and not repairable. Here goes the frustrating part (Good ol Murphey's Law). I just bought a 52 chevy pickup so this of course had to happen now when I am low on money. I can't afford 4 new tires and was wondering if just putting one on for now would be bad for that one tire. The others will get replaced over time I assume since they do run about $300-$400 ea. I'm also looking to try another brand of tire that will hold up better on the road but still do well off road. Any suggestions?

question 1: Would replacing just one tire at a time be bad for the new tires?

question 2: What is a good tire to go with (35's on 18" rims) preferrably with prefabbed holes for studs in the winter?

Thank you guys for your help and wish me luck on fenaggling some money.

-Greg

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just a quick reply but changing one tire at a time is OK as long as it's the exact same brand and size. Don't try mixing brands and sizes as this is asking for trouble.

3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah ,that's usually how it goes. I had the same thing happen a few years ago, punched a hole in the side wall of one of my 35" mud terrains, I don't know how bad your damage is, but I took mine to a commercial tire shop and they patched it an vulcanized it, the repair was permanent and hardly noticeable. It's worth a try but I would investigate this possibility if you have a decent commercial shop in your area.

4. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Thank you very much. I will look into another mud grappler then. Thanks

5. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if there is more than 4/32 differance in tires on the drive wheels it can cause drive line lash and potential damage to the drive train so if you are going to replace one tire have it put in front, this mostly applies to AWD but can still cause problems in non AWD