F.Y.I About Drive Shaft

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by axlman, Jul 16, 2009.

1. axlman

axlman New Member

Hi, All

Been awhile since I've been on here, but I thought I'd share this bit of info.

For awhile I was having some weird noises coming from the rear of my truck whenever I would break or let off the break. I would hear an "Urrrt" (Kind of like a clunk) type sound. I was thinking that maybe my calipers were sticking and then releasing, etc.

I finally took it to the dealership last weekend and was lucky enough that when I took the shop foreman for a drive, he heard the sound as well and informed me that the drive shaft needed to be lubed.

He said it does not alway's happen, but sometimes it does. The funny thing is, is that my truck is only 2yrs. old and only has about 25,000 miles on it.

So, shaft is lubed and I'm not hearing that noise any more!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this tid bit of info in case anyone else comes across having this sound or issue, maybe it'll help point you in the right direction.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I believe the spot that needs to be lubed is the slip yoke going into the t-case/tranny.

3. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

great to hear man....

is it a two piece shaft or one ?

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The 2 piece shafts won't bind up. It's the one piece shafts that have this problem.