Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Factory CD

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Huntr, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

1997 suburban with the factory CD player mounted below the radio.

How do I operate it? I have no owner's manual yet (it's in the mail from eBay).

I tried putting a CD in, and it wouldn't go. Pushed the eject button and got nothing. Is it broken or am I doing something wrong?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Do you have power to the CD player??

The Below Information is from the 97" Suburban Owners Manual .

.....Playing a Compact Disc,

PWR: Press this knob to turn the system on. (Please note that you can also turn the system on when you insert a compact disc into the player with the ignition on.)
    Insert a disc partway into the slot, label side-up . The player will pull it in. Wait a few seconds and the disc should play. CD and a CD symbol will also appear on
    the display. Anytime you are playing a CD, the letters CD will be next to the CD symbol,

..If the disc comes back out and ERR appears on the display, it could be that:
    You are driving on a very rough road. (The disc should play when the road gets smoother.)
    ....The disc is upside down. It is dirty, scratched or wet.It is very humid. (If so, wait about an hour and try again.) The disc player is very hot.
    ...Press RECALL to make ERR go off the display. PREV (1): Press PREV or the SEEK left arrow to search for the previous selection. If you hold this button
    or press it more than once, the disc will advance further. Sound is muted in this mode.
    ....RDM (2): Press this button to play the tracks on the disc in random order. While in the RDM mode, RANDOM appears on the display. Press RDM again to return to
    normal play.
    ....Press NEXT or the SEEK right arrow to search for the next selection. If you hold this button or press it more than once, the disc will advance further.
    The next track number will appear on the display. Sound is muted in this mode.

Playing a Compact Disc in the Single Remote Disc Player (If Equipped)

....If you have this option, you can play one compact disc (CD) at a time.
    ....To load a CD into the player, hold the disc with the label side up and insert it carefully into the player (approximately halfway).
    .....The disc will automatically be pulled into the player. If the radio is off and the ignition is on when a CD is inserted, the radio will turn on and
    begin playing the CD.
    ...... It is possible to load and unload CDs with the ignition off. To load a disc with the ignition off, press the EJECT button on the remote
    player and then insert the disc.
    .....To remove the disc, press the EJECT button and remove the disc from the player.
    ....A disc that has been ejected but is still sitting in the remote CD player will be pulled back into the player after approximately 30 seconds.
    ....This protects the disc and player from damage. The disc will not start playing.
    ....To remove the discp, ress the EJECT button and remove the disc from the player.

....All of the compact disc functions are controlled by the radio buttons except for EJECT.

...When a disc is in the player, a CD symbol will appear on the display. When a
    disc is playing, the letters CD will appear next to the CD symbol in the bottom left corner.
    .... The track number will also be displayed.
    .....If the disc comes back out and ERR appears on the display, it could be that:
    ....The disc is upside down.It is dirty, scratched or wet.
    ....There’s too much moisture in the air. (Wait about an hour and try again.)
    ....You are driving on a very rough road.

PREV (1): Press this button to go back to the start of the current track if more than eight seconds have played.
    Press PREV again to go to the previous track on the disc.
    NEXT (3): Press this button to advance to the next track on the disc.
    REV (4): Press and hold this button to quickly reverse within a track.
    As the CD reverses, elapsed time will be displayed to help you find the correct passage.
    FWD (6): Press and hold this button to quickly advance within a track. As the CD advances, elapsed time will be displayed to help you find the correct passage.
    SEEK: Press the left arrow while playing a CD to go back to the start of the current track. It will go back to the current track if more than eight seconds have played.
    Press the left arrow again to go top revious tracks. Press the right arrow to go to the next higher track on the disc.

RANDOM: Press P.SCAN to enter the random play mode. RANDOM will appear on the display. While in this mode, the tracks on the discsw ill be played in
    random order, If you press SEEK, PREV or NEXT while in the random mode, the previous or next track will be scanned randomly. Press P.SCAN again to turn
    off RANDOM and return to normal operation.
    RECALL: Press this button to see what track is currently playing. Press RECALL again within five seconds to see how long the track has been playing.
    When a new track starts to play, the track number will also appear. Press RECALL a third time and the time of day will be displayed.
    TAPE AUX: With a disc loaded in the player and the radio playing, press this button once to play the compact disc.
    To return to playing the radio, press AM-FM. If both a cassette tape and CD are loaded ,press TAPE AUX to switch between the tape and compact disc.
    EJECT Press this button on the remote player to eject a compact disc. If you leave a compact disc in the player while listening to the radio, it may become warm....

3. Naptime

Naptime Rockstar 100 Posts

Sounds like you have no power to it.
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke New Member

5. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny Rockstar

just to confirm you have the stock deck, right? If there is no power you could pull the dash trim (it just pops off) and check to make sure it is still connected to the deck. If your CD player is defective I have one I pulled from my old 96 Suburban that I'll sell to you for cheap.
  6. Gryphon

Gryphon Rockstar 100 Posts

Mine did that. It went into the trash and a new Blaupunkt went into the dash.

Yes, as mentioned above, pull the trim (I found it's easier to open the drivers door, set the brake and knock the truck in gear to better clear the trim panel out of the way....yeah, no I didn't want to unhook anything!). There is a cable the connects the main head unit to the cd player. It is routed down behind the units and through some dash support. I still have mine in there as I couldn't get it out. Check to see if yours has come loose or may have frayed on something...or just been cut or disconnected...you never know what a PO may have done to the truck!