1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Factory cruise added to 03-06 on base model

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by DCRoyale, Feb 10, 2011.

1. DCRoyale

DCRoyale New Member

After purchasing my 03 Chevy 2500HD, the main option missing I really wanted was cruise control.

I had searched many sites and could not find much information on adding cruise either factory or aftermarket to this truck.

Some sites said you had to cut and splice wires, some said aftermarket was the only way, etc.

I ended up buying the combo turn / wiper / emergency / cruise switch from an avalanche off e-bay and replaced my non-cruise switch with it. There is one extra 4 wire pigtail on this switch for cruise. My truck had the matching connector taped up under the steering column directly above the tilt lever (inside the housing of course). Making that simple connection to the new switch enabled all cruise control functions.

The cruise light on the dash even comes on. All functions to accelerate, decelerate, set, resume, and off work. Brake tap disables as expected.

If you don't have cruise and have thought about adding it to your Silverado, check and see if you have the connector for the switch to plug into. From what I have read, 99% of the 03-06 Silverados are wired for Cruise whether they actually have it or not.

No reprogramming was needed for this function to work properly.

Easy modification and very well worth the time!

I bough my switch off ebay and paid right at $50 for it.

Good luck everyone!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Thanks for the info! and with the 03 up models that cruise is programmed into the PCM, since that is where all the functions come from thanks to the drive by wire throttle.
  3. captainad

captainad New Member

Your statement is correct about drive by wire programmed in the PCM with the exception of the 4.3 v-6 trucks. These have the manual throttle body through at least 2006 and require the underhood module with cable attached to the throttle body linkage next to the regular accelerator cable. The module attaches to the left firewall next to the brake booster. The mounting studs and harness are there just waiting to be used. The one thing that wasn't on my 2006 with 4.3 was the separate pigtail on the column for the cruise portion of the turn/wiper /cruise switch. I had to hardwire that in.