Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

factory fog lights?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 5speedsilverado, Jul 26, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

any one have them on their 03-06 silverado? if you do, is it possible for you to take a picture of how they are mounted? thanks in advanced
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i can see if i can get a pic later today
  3. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

Good luck. If your '06 is set up like my '07 classic you can forget factory fog lights,they can't be added.
  4. 5speedsilverado

why not???
  5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Anything is possible. Even if it doesnt use the stock switch. Although you should be able to buy a kit to make it look stock, you just need the actual lights mounted, then you can custom wire them. The spot for the fog light switch under the cargo lamp one is empty, and once you get through it (it is harder to cut or drill than the exterior plasics) a switch can be installed. Then you just wire up your battery and grounds with fuses, etc. and wire everything to your lights. If you can't find a more stock-like setup, I can help you out with wiring if you want to go this route (if you need it). Hope this helps.
  6. 5speedsilverado

thats the way i planed it, just get the factory socket and housing, and bolt them up, or get a hid kit and wire the switch to that for them. mount the switch under my head unit, and be good
  7. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

I have been chasing the fog light thing for a long time now,hears what I have been told by 5 local chevy dealers. 1. Very few trucks that came without fogs have the harness/computer to let you add them(less than 10%) 2. GMC makes a kit up thru the '07 classic,Chevy has no kit after 2005. They tell me you can't use the GMC kit and just substitute the Chevy lights. 3. If you find an after market kit you can't use it because it can't be wired thru your computer to shut the lights off when high beams come on, this is not legal and the truck will not pass state inspection. 4. Some trucks that have the harness don't have the compatible computer so truck can't be reprogramed. If you find a way,please let me know!!
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It is very possible to wire them to turn off when the highs are on - it just means they can only be used with the low beams, not seperately (although I'm sure with a bit of creative thinking, this could be done too) All you need to do this is a SPST relay in the wiring. You tap into your low-beam wiring as a power to energize the coil (terminal 85). Connect the other end of the coil to ground (terminal 86). Connect your power from the fog light switch to the common power (terminal 30) and the wire out to the fog lights on the output (terminal 87). Like I said, if you can't find a kit, anything CAN be done with custom wiring. Some things like this arent as difficult, other are - such as the people who change out there whole BCM and interior wiring to have factory power windows.....
  9. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

So this can be done without overloading anything? I have to admit I'm a real chickin s**t when it comes to messin' with the electrics on these new vehicles( put LED's in my kids Impala and the cruise control quit working WTF) Hope this works but I think I'll let 'ol 5speed try it first LOL. Let me know.
  10. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I was thinking about doing the same thing. Glad to hear that there is a kit for my '04 though. I'm not a fan of messing with the electronics either. Good luck.

-Greg