1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Factory Radio

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by bphenwood, Jan 18, 2009.

1. bphenwood

bphenwood New Member

I was looking at replacing my bare bones factory radio with a factory cd player. I was looking at ebay and alot of the auctions say that you have to take it to a dealership and they have to program the radio with a GM Tech II/scan tool. First is this true, and second...why?

Thanks
    -Ben
  2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year and kind of vehicle?
  3. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

The newer radios have a anti theft feature and only the dealership can unlock them. The older radios you could just get a code and keep on trucking IF the theftlock feature was even turned on many werent.
  4. bphenwood

bphenwood New Member

its a 2006 chevy silverado.
  5. StillMatic

StillMatic Rockstar 100 Posts

Personally, I'd rather go with an aftermarket radio. I have an Eclipse cd7100 and for most, it's not in their price range, but they do have some that are less pricey, but the sound quality is beyond impressive. Then you can thnk about hooking up your iPod, amp, or whatever else you can come up with.