1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

factory rear locking-differential

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TrailFiend, Dec 28, 2007.

1. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

how do i know if i have this on my 99' tahoe 4x4? i know some came with it, some came without. thanks.
  2. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

In your glove box you will have a sticker put on by the factory with a bunch of number and letter codes. The code you are looking for is G80. If you see this then you have the locker.
  3. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

thank you kindly sir.
  4. TahoeFever

TahoeFever Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

those numbers on the glove box are the options that the truck is able to take doesnt mean that it has it on board....? if that was the case i'm missing alot of goodies that my truck had when it left the factory :glasses:
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The RPO codes are supposed to indicate what options that individual truck was outfitted with from the factory. I don't know what to say if you seem to missing options.
  6. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

so if i see G80, i have limited-slip or what?
  7. MrShorty

A '99 with a G80 will have the Eaton Gov-Lock rear locking differential. Under normal driving conditions, it behaves like a normal open differential. When vehicle speeds are below ~20 mph and one wheel spins ~100 RPM faster than the other, there's a mechanism in the differential that locks the differential to send power to both wheels. It's a true locker, only it's kind of opposite of other "automatic" lockers. Other lockers are normally locked, but have a mechanism to allow for differentiation when cornering. The G80, on the other hand, is normally open, but locks up under certain circumstances.

I know I've seen it before, but I can't remember where it's at, but there's a short video somewhere on the internet that shows how it works. Put "Eaton Gov-lock" or G80 into your favorite search engine and you'll find lots of hits.

It also seems to have a bad reputation on the net, especially the 10 bolt version (which is what should be in your Tahoe). Some attribute it to "abuse". Where the mechanism "locks" it together after it's started slipping, it can be pretty "harsh" under the right conditions, which probably contributes to it breaking, especially in the smaller 10 bolt rear.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  8. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

thanks mrshorty!
  9. chaeth58

chaeth58 New Member

whould the code be the same for a 2000 gmc sonoma.
  10. MrShorty

Should be the same