1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Factory Wheel maint?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by JC8865, Feb 10, 2012.

1. JC8865

JC8865 Member

I really like the look of the factory rims on my 08 Silverado..their in perfect shape so I'd like to keep them looking good..is their a clear coat on the aluminum? and if so whats the best way to keep them from pitting and peeling? I live in MN and wash my truck 2-3 times a week when it snows and the salt is on the road..any tips would be great..Thanks!

JC
  2. Dylan@Adams

Dylan@Adams Member 100 Posts

They are clear coated, as most every factory wheel is now a days.

The care is pretty much the same as it is on all other clear coat panels of the truck, clean regularly and keep a layer of protection on them.

Use dedicated wheel cleaners only when needed, for breaking up serious grime, the rest of the time stick to a mixture of a pH neutral car wash and water.

Once clean apply your preferred wax or sealant for protection. I personally use our Quick Sealant on my wheels as its fast to apply and being synthetic holds up better against the elements than natural waxes.

If you get any imperfections they can be polished using the same stuff you'd use to polish any other painted panel on the truck. As with anything the biggest part is prevention. During the snowy season try to knock the salt off as frequently as you can, maintain that sealant coating, and you should make it thru the winter unscathed.
  3. JC8865

JC8865 Member

Thanks for the reply...my 05 had steel wheels so the newer AL rims are new to me..I appreciate the tips on keeping them looking good..I'll check out the Adams site too..looks like great stuff...Thanks again!

JC