Failed inspection

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ahm1127, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have 1990 Suburban & failed inspection due to bad donut gasket at exhaust manifold. Problem is, previous owner has welded studs to everything when they installed new Y-pipe.
    Should I: 1) break bolts, drill & re-tap 2) replace exhaust manifold 3) buy headers
    I dont want to spend to much $$ but winter is on the way & time is limited. Thanks

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you could just cut the welded area out and put in a heavy duty flex tube, just to take out the hassle of retapping and welding.

3. ahm1127

Thanks Jason,
    I am in process of removing existing exhaust manifolds due to welded in bolts/studs. They are welded to manifold not Y-pipe. I purchased Headman headers to replace manifold.
    Passenger side not a problem but drivers side is a pain! Are there any tricks to remove alternator/power steering pump brackets from engine?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

4. ahm1127

OK, I removed both exhaust manifolds. I had to cut all bolts to Y-pipe to remove due to rust & somebody welding. Trying to remove cut bolts from driver side (1 done) but passenger side is cracked and someone tried to weld (replacing with NAPA manifold). Not sure if I will replace cat but will be replacing muffler. Wanted headers but to expensive.

5. ahm1127

One manifold in place, I hope to have all exhaust in by this Thursday to Cat. I think Cat is clogged but will check when truck is up & running, wasnt very loud with no muffler!
    I need a new muffler that flows but not to loud due to offroading. Looking at Turbo mufflers but not sure. Any suggestions appreciated.

6. Dr Len

Dr Len Rockstar 100 Posts

Gut the Cat and put it back on. This way you wont fail again

7. ahm1127

I think I will be, hopefully today. Weather has been working against me.