1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fan clutch

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TroyT, Oct 25, 2010.

1. TroyT

TroyT Member

hey guys, i replaced the fan clutch on my 05' 2500hd earlier this summer. the problem is on startup its engaged for like a minute or so till a drive about a half mile then it goes back. the one i bought was a cheap $50 from auto zone rather than paying $250 from the dealer for an oem one. is there a cheap fan clutch that only engages when it needs to for less than a hundred bucks. when its below zero here soon the fan blowing full force on every startup will not be good. thanks

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

also everytime the a/c is turned on the fan speeds up,(highway or street) how is this even possible. i plan to go electric fans someday better mileage and power ive heard.
  2. gates59

gates59 New Member

It is normal for a fan to stay on for a little while when you first drive off and then shut off. It will work just fine when the cold starts up.
  3. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

The fan uses a silicon compound that reacts to the temp. New ones always are engaged at startup until they get a little older.
  4. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

My fan is doing the same thing and it's extremely annoying.
  5. gates59

gates59 New Member

My old 06 canyon had 60000km on it and always did it. Just got used ot it.
  6. TroyT

TroyT Member

yes it is annoying Sam, sounds like a dump truck. it was 37 degrees here last night and it still does it. hopefully another month or so it will break in and function like its supposed to, or not.
  7. msvx95

msvx95 Rockstar

Troy, what sound do you mean...just a low steady sound? Reason I'm asking, I think my fan clutch may be acting up, but mine sounds like a blower on a chevelle...LOL But only for a few minutes until I accelerate for a bit. I'm still trying to narrow it down to if it's the clutch or a belt.