1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

fan troubles

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Bowtieloyal, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Bowtieloyal

Bowtieloyal New Member

I have a 2003 suburban and when I turn on my heat or a/c with the auto button or manually it takes about 5-10 min before it starts blowing out. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the root of it? Thanks in advance
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i have not heard of that issue. Does your fan blow at all speeds when it finally does work? There are 3 possible causes of the issue, the control unit, the resistor pack for the fan, or the fan motor itself. you can test the control unit by turning it on and then checking at the resistor for a signal coming in. if the signal is going to the resistor then check for voltage coming out of the resistor. if you have no voltage going to the fan from the resistor, and then after 10 minutes all of a sudden you do, then I would think that the resistor is bad.
  3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 1 Year 100 Posts

With the auto controls it is supposed to wait until the coolant is hot before blowing air when trying to heat.

But waiting for A/C? Never heard of that.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

he said that it does the same thing on manual though. another thing he might try is hitting the motor with his hand when he first turns it on. I have seen them go bad and only start to work after hitting a bump.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I agree, a motor not spinning up because of a poor connection, or a bad bearing.