1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

faster n faster gerr

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cobra2end, Dec 19, 2013.

1. cobra2end

cobra2end Rockstar 100 Posts

Hello all been a bit. Hope every one is ready for Christmas.
    So my 97 gmc with 5.7 has been acting strange. My truck will normaly slow its self down
    When heading down hill or when letting off the gas. Kind of like a engines break.
    It now acts as if it jumps into a coast now. I can tap the gas and not sticking.
    You guys have any ideas ? It's not a big deal if roads are dry but with ice and ridding the breaks
    Makes for a fun wrong way slide down the steep hills.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like a bad torque converter, or the pwm solenoid is bad in the valve body.

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I think your "off the gas" engine speed is too high, what does the tach read when you are idling?

For a down hill test, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and watch the tach. Your truck has a throttle cable (I think) and in neutral, the engine rpm should return to idle speed.

4. cobra2end

It runs about 450 when warmed up I'll try down hill test tonight

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Ok, let us know.

6. cobra2end

Rpms dropped when going down hill in neutral. Could the cold weather make this happen? It didn't start till it for to -20 and has not stopped now that it has warmed up a little. The transmission only has 75k on it