1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Audio Favorite Audio Equipment

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by zigger215, Jan 30, 2012.

1. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Ok so I think it would be cool for people to list off their very favorite audio brand and why. List the pros and cons!!!

I'll go first

Zapco!

Pros: high end build quality, state of the art equalizer set-ups, excellent customer service and shop tech support

Cons: impossible to get your hands on, very pricey, extended warranty process. Competition equipment with not very competitive pricing.

The runner-up would be JL audio...

Pros: great sound replication and db production for power handling, made by hand in America

Cons: boy they sure are proud of their stuff!! Pricey. Also the amps are super sensitive.
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

I think this is a cool idea for a thread, so I'll go next.

My favorite is Focal. They're a french company that makes some amazing stuff.

Pros: Great quality, amazing sound, gets great sound quality and volume without needing huge power.

Cons: expensive (especially in canada)

For head units, I'll go with Kenwood. Pioneer is my second, but Kenwood seems better built, and just overall better. Everything works well and their prices aren't too bad.
  3. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

+1 on kenwood headunits. Nice to see focal gettin some rep!
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I'll jump in, as I'm opinionated about my gear...

For amps, I like Clif Designs.

Pros: Great looking, and dependable

Cons: kind of hard to find

For receivers, I like high-end Pioneers

For subs, I'm a JL Audio guy of either the w6 or w7 series. Anything less (w0-w3) is junk.
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well do you really want my Opt??? For Head units.. Kenwood Exalon Nothing else.Reason.. Ease of use,Sound and Opt's for it. . 2nd place would be Alpine or Pioneer....

Amps There are so many out there.. Audison, Jl Audio,Zapco,Old PPI, For Bullit Proof reliabilty I would have to go with JL Audio..

Speakers.... HHmmm Old MBQ, Higher end Focal (If you got the $$$) Morel, Jl Audio There are so many more out there that Are not easy to get in all areas..

I would Say Please Stay far away from Pioneer,Sony,JVC,Kenwood for speakers unless you want just a factory upgrade or you are selling the truck...
  6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

Kinda surprised to not see em on here yet.. so here they are.

Alpine Everything.

I've had Alpine head units, Type R Speakers throughout, alpine 4channel and mono amp in custom built boxes in the past. For me:

Pros: Generally easy tune when used together, amps with remotes mounted under driver seat make for excellent ease of sound adjusting, relatively cost efficient for the quality of sound.

Cons: The type R 10s i have in my truck could use a little more punch to em, but still enough for a pickup non the less.

Also, in my 'rado i kept the stock head unit and used a line-out adapter and with the stock door speakers and tweeters it sounds freakin amazing.
  7. vncj96

vncj96 New Member 1000 Posts

Sure cant argue with Kenwood headunits!!

Boston Acoustics are my favorite for speakers and MTX for subwoofers.

I had a Blue Thunder 12" (pushed by 600w) that lasted me 14 years, while my buddies blew their JLs, and Memphis subs out year after year
  8. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

I'm a fan of kenwood and JVC headunits. Ironically, they are owned by the same company. I'm going to oscope my deck and the kenwood deck I'm looking at to see which one I want to run.
  9. Clint16

Clint16 New Member

well ill play! (im no expert by any means its just from my little experiance and opinion)
    I like kenwood amps as I have a 1000w and has never done me wrong and have 2 buddies with 800w Kenwoods and they have had no issues and all of our subs sound good with them.

Subs: I like Kicker, JL and Alpine, basically I have 2 JL 10's that pound day after day, a friend has 2 Type R 12's and the same thing no issues, another guy I know has 2 Kicker L5 12's, These things pounded realllly hard but the con was that he has had more than one fire problem with a kicker amp.

Speakers favourite as of now are JL as well sound really great in 2 of my friends trucks
  10. elee33

elee33 New Member

for head units:

kenwood:

pros:

great unit, reliable, good for the money

Cons:

buttons wear out

speakers:

jl:

pros:

clarity