Favorite year and model of a Chevrolet Blazer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Blazer Forum (GMC Jimmy)' started by derickheggie, Feb 24, 2011.

1. derickheggie

derickheggie New Member

Just thought i would throw this question out there. I was thinking on buying an old Blazer to fix up and attend to a personal craving for 4x4ing :) I have always wanted to own one, just thought some of you out there might have a good insight on the good and the bad?
  2. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

I've always been partial to the '71 or '72 models. I owned a '76 and really liked it. If you are looking at something newer I'd look at the early '90s. Good luck!
  3. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

I had a '75 Jimmy, so, of course, that's the best one ever made.

Late 60's-72 had cool body lines, and I think a 3/4t version. 73-75 was the new body style w/ full removable roof (and the coolest, as mentioned above). 76-88? continued the body style, but the roof came off behind the front seats - not as cool, but still wind in your hair. In the 80's, there were diesel, 3/4t versions available, which made a pretty sturdy work truck, but most of those are beat or rusted by now.

I kinda lost interest when the names changed to the S-10 line, and the full size kept her top on...

If you're looking for a wheeler, I can't suggest any particular one. I think all of the full size line were build pretty tuff, and there's a ton of aftermarket stuff. It comes down to cost, availability, and personal style. Last week in the trader there was a 69 Blazer with no interior, roof, or right quarter panel. It was listed as "rare", and they wanted $3000!

Every time I see a picture of my era truck, I get a pain right here. Good luck with your search, and I'm sure someone will be along to correct what I said above.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Moderator

I always loved the 68 to 72 model, but their hard to find in decent condition at a good price.
    Second choice would be 73 to 78.
    Third choice 79 to the end of production for the FS Blazer.
    First two choices are because of the full removable top, I lost interest a little when they went to a half top.
    The later Blazers (late 80's early 90's) had great drivetrains but IMO to many electronics controlling things.
    I've always wanted a mid 70's 2wd Blazer to build up.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

No doubt the 68-72 trucks look great. But I would take an 88-91 for EFI and creature comforts, all with the solid axle and classic sheetmetal. Plus the grills on that vintage look sweet.
  6. derickheggie

derickheggie New Member

These all sound pretty promising, but what do you mean )2COR517) by they have a solid axle? Did the earlier models not have solid axles?
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member

Pickups had solid front axles through 87, Subs and Blazers had them through 91.
  8. jbjones240

jbjones240 New Member

I love the 68 - 72 but they are hard to find, if you do find one it is either trashed or expensive. If you are looking for a more affordable one go with the Mid 70's models. Go ahead and subscribe to LMC Truck magazine, they have every part you could want.

-JJ
  9. derickheggie

derickheggie New Member

Good to know, thanks!
    That is one thing that i have heard, that they have parts available from most places, and are readily available at affordable costs.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  10. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

If you do find something, there is a place a little south of you, in Wyoming, that has some decent bodies for the 70-80 models.
    I found a replacement body there for my '75. It was $200us, but we decided that gas would be too much for a trailer trip back and forth from Michigan. Come on lottery...

Here's there site: http://www.wyomingclassiccars.com/

Good luck,
  11. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member

I am particular to my 85 k5 but if its a blazer it rocks, full size that is
  12. racekid91

racekid91 New Member

Late 60's, Early 70's. Love that body style trucks and suv's. I wanna do either a C10 or a Blazer rebuild after my Tahoe is SFA'd
  13. Blacksheep1

Blacksheep1 New Member

I had an 84 stuffed a 454 in, it had a 4 speed from the factory. A little lift nd some 35's. What an animal.. I miss it, but not at $4.09.9..... There were all good trucks as full size rigs.
  14. chestateeridge

chestateeridge New Member

15. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member

My 83 k5 was a beast. I miss it.