1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Few pictures from my drive at night with new HID's

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by Ridyn, Aug 27, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

So, before I post my how-to guide on how to install the HID's into the newer Silverados I'm going to show ya'll what it looks like after I installed mine!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

looks great! just watch out for the glare and make sure it aint too bad

3. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah I'm going to go for some more test rides tomorrow night and adjust as needed so I'm not blinding oncoming traffic. I've been on that end of the road and it's definitely not fun!

4. reggiecab2000

yup, just pull up to a garage or wall or something, and look above where the reflector cuts the lights off, and kinda be your own judge on how much glare there is (if any at all, because i believe the newer headlights have been more HID friendly with more accurate beam pattern)

5. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Where are the pics of oncoming drivers flipping you off for blinding them? LOL! I have a buddy that had HIDs and took them back off because he got tired of everyone high beaming him. I have a couple of other buddies who are cops that pull people over and ticket them for having lights that are too bright. As a firefighter, I have been dispatched to accidents that were caused by those things blinding oncoming drivers.

In our state, they are technically illegal unless your car was manufactured with them... In fact, some insurance companies are refusing to pay claims on vehicles that are not equipped with OEM lighting. That's why you don't see the weekend automotive how-to shows installing them. They can be a huge liability.

I'm not hatin'... Just sayin'!

Still, I'm sure I will get bashed over this post!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Can you cite a source showing them to be illegal in NC? I looked at the statutes some time ago and found that we can run as many lights up front as we want and have no HID restrictions AS LONG AS what we run (HID or not, 20 beams or 2 beams) does not cause glare for oncoming drivers. That seemed to be the litmus test ... and as not all HID installs cause glare, you're basically legit if you don't.

I even cited the statues I found ... somewhere in one of my many posts on this site. I'd like to see your citation of statues to the contrary, please -- just for my own edification.

7. Ridyn

Ridyn Rockstar 100 Posts

Interesting, I don't think Texas has these laws either. I would think that Texas would want us to be able to see as much as we can to avoid hitting deer and wild hogs! HID's saved my ars more than enough times when I used to drive my GTO to my parents house. IF it weren't for me running HID's in that car...oh dear I would have hit a deer!

See what I did there!? xD

8. reggiecab2000

well that whole deal is a fuzzy area, its up to the cop, but ill give yall a little experienced lesson, (from TEXAS fyi)
    My family and i were leavin MUDFEST earlier this year prolly around 10:00 pm and my brother and I both have HID's. I have a projector set up, he just has aftermarket reflectors. (Decent quality and HID's in them)

Im in my truck and he was in his ford excursion (6" lift). All of a sudden driving down the back roads after leavin, (I was following him) I saw a car in front of him abrubtly pull to the shoulder then completely cut me off to get behind him, (it was a cop nonetheless) flashed his lights, pulled him over. Naturally seeing we were in a small town, i wasnt about to let this cop pull my brother out of the car and harass him for whatever it was.

My sister and her fiance, and one of their friends were riding with him and I was behind them by myself in my truck. So naturally I pulled up about 50 ft behind the cop to observe and watch and record everything that went on, and called my sister to record everything as well, they did...

needless to say the cop came out with attitude saying HID's are illegal in texas on any vehicle, (i made sure my HID's were on, because i was hoping he was gonna say something to me after being done with my little brother (so HID's in the low beam and my Fog beams were on)

Though he never said anything to me, just wanted to pull over a big truck leaving mudfest cuz it was quick money obviously. Well, all in all the cop ended up forcing him to get out of the car, pushed him up against the door, all kinds of inappropriate stuff, while my sister was on the phone with 911 in the passenger seat calling about this mistreatment.

But of course they could not do anything about it. after all was said and done the cop came back with a ticket claiming "illegal equipment-HID" and my brother being not as smart as me just signed it thinking it was a warning but no in fact it was a ticket. At this point i was very satisfied that we would get the ticket dismissed.

First off, my brother never claimed any statement about having HID or even xenon for that matter, and the cop never popped the hood to inspect and prove they were in fact HID's. He just said they were HIDs and of course cops think they know everything. So there was no proof of the fact that they were HID's which would not matter even if they were because they are legal "so long as there is no distracting level of glare".

Aside from the improper use of force and everything else this cop did wrong, we of course took this to court less than a week later, no argument or anything, the judge dropped everything on the spot stating that HIDs are legal.
    just an FYI this was in Poth, Texas, if your wondering where.
    ( it gave me a nice ego boost :glasses:)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Capitalization and paragraphs, please -- that wall of text was painful to read!

10. reggiecab2000

gahh! you had to be that guy...