few questions, electical on 75 burban 454

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bldeagle10, Dec 25, 2009.

1. bldeagle10

bldeagle10 New Member

i have a 75 c10 2wd with a 7.4l (454) its been sitting for 10 years. my dad parked it cause of fuel economy (guy that owned it before him put a pretty big cam in it) well ive been trying to get it going and its just one problem after the other. it has a new battery and starter solenoid and alternator. coil and distributor are fine spark plugs and wires are fine gapped correctly. there are about 6 wires just hanging there like someone went in and cut them. plus it looks like someone put in like, conversion kits for the wiring under the dash. wire connectors everywhere where they spliced them and its just junk. i need to know where i can find a complete wiring diagram for this model of suburban cause im going to have my friend re-wire the whole truck. (he works at gm dealership doing the wiring for them) so if anyone has one of those layin around or knows where i could get ahold of one. and also it used to start fine then all of the sudden the ignition switch went out and then it sounds like someone is welding with the arching sound of the electricity under the hood when you turned the key and it drains the battery now over so something is drawing the power. someone mentioned the starter might be bad and thats draining it but...ive never heard of that happening. any help would be appreciated. if you have any questions ill try my best to answer.

2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

If I were you, I'd get a new wiring kit from Painless Wiring.
    It'll save you a lot of grief in the long run, plus you'll get a whole new electrical system in the process. You should be able to find a decent one with all the factory connectors.

3. bldeagle10

bldeagle10 New Member

thank you i will take that into consideration. but i may end up having to do it myself. im very tight on cash and id like it to be as close to stock as possible. i will deffinately look them up though. thanks again.