figuring out the rear ac

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by scgamer_99, Mar 18, 2009.

1. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

ok so like alot of other people my rear ac does not blow cold, i have done some research and found that it could be the baffle inside the rear housing so i took that off and had a look, works perfect, so now i was thinking maybe the ac pump, but the front works great so it couldn't be that, so i turned on the truck and ac full blast, i located the ac pump and noticed there are 3 lines connected to it, one hot as a muther f@cker, one ice cold, enough to have condinsation on it, and on that was a little cool, so that got me thinking that could be the line for the rear correct? i let it run for a good 10 minutes and i had my hand on it the whole time it seams to me that every now and then i would feel really cold fluid go threw it then the next thing it would be back to how it was before.
    could this mean the line is plugged somewhere? and if so how can i clear that out or how much might it cost to have that done?

2. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

um don't know what i did but the thing cut my my hand so i hit it and low and behold now i have cold air in the back LOL:rofl: well if a mod see's this post he can go ahead and get rid of it thanx:lol:

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think we're going to keep this thread.

It's good that you solved your rear ac problem, but it may not be completely solved. It sounds like there might be some debris in your system. Eventually it's going to work it's way around and plug up the front, or the rear again. Cleaning this out would not be something you would be equipped to do unless you have a freon reclamation setup.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. mrcaddy

mrcaddy Rockstar

Any 'new' news on this? I have a '95 with the same issue. I am thinking mine must be plugged, but where?

5. scgamer_99

scgamer_99 Rockstar

the only thing that i have done was to talk to a mechanic but it was starting to get cool when i was looking into this so i have not done anything farther, he said it could be the expansion valve is messed up and it will cost around 300 to fix, i just dont have the extra cash right now but when i get it fixed i will tell everyone ;)

6. cipman5916

cipman5916 New Member

i had one of those problems on my suburban, and it was the expansion valve on the back with the little coil looking thing. Be sure to buy direct original Ac delco parts because i made the mistake of buying oem parts from oreilly and autozone and napa and they all failed within months. bought one from the dealership and is still there blowing cold air. good luck with that bud:happy:

7. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Me too. I've spent a lot of money on AC repairs, and I find I spend even more when I try to fix it myself!:lol:

8. mrcaddy

mrcaddy Rockstar

I think mine is just plugged up somewhere. The lines going to the back are 'room temp'. The freon is not getting back there.

9. mrcaddy

mrcaddy Rockstar

Sometimes when my A/C is running it will increase in sound. Almost like it's changing from normal to max on it's own....while it's in max. Any idea why?