1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

filling up issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nabisco_12, Jul 21, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

it doesnt matter where i go to get fuel that damn pump pops off all the time, its nearly imposable to get gas in the truck, i have tried to hold it different ways and it doesent help!! what is going on? can i put a bigger pipe to the tank, i think its to small and restricting flow??any ideas???Thanks!
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Vent could be clogged up with something and not letting the air being displaced out therefore causing vapor lock (I THINK)
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the same problem on my Chevy, but not on my other vehicles.
    I've found if I stand on my head while singing the star spangled banner and wiggling my toe the tank doesnt get full any faster but people do stop to stare.

A few years ago I bought a device for my bike that looks like a can coozy without a bottom on it, it helps a lot getting the tank full on the bike, it was worse than the truck and there was a few times I had to go find another filling station it got so bad, I keep meaning to try it on the truck to see if it helps.
  4. nabisco_12

nabisco_12 New Member

what vent?
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

it could be the pump nozzle it self, i noticed when i loved to virginia I had that problem, in minnesota it was never an issue, but her it was in my old 05, and now in the 11 its not a issue at all.

i seem to recall we had a thread about that on here someplace, couldnt find it with the search tho.

Alex
  6. TexasTechRaider

TexasTechRaider New Member 100 Posts

On my 09 Silverado it's a pain in the rear, I have to readjust the pump at least 4-5 times in order for it to stay on. I found that by pulling it out a little normally works. My Tahoe does it occasionally but the Silverado is much worse!
  7. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have this problem also depending on the gas station/pump I am at and it is one of the most annoying things..... I want to get my gas and get out.... not having to take 1 hour for a 5-10 minute fill up would be nice. I has to do something with the back presure of air or something. I would love to get it fixed.
  8. jnbama

jnbama Member 100 Posts

Pull the nozzle out a little till the pump quits clicking off and high pump speed will cause it to click off . Read some tips to fuel early or evening while cool, gas will be be dense and get more . Fill till pump stops wait a few seconds and pump till clicks off again tank will completey full
  9. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ive heard the vent selonoid could be stuck in the closed position can cause this problem. Also if you notice when you remove your cap and have a LOT of pressure this is also a sign of a bad or slow vent selonoid. If the vent remains closed it does not allow the air to escape as your filling the tank. This is a common problem causing the cel to come on with an emissions code. It also has made my fuel gauge read incorrectly at times when mine went bad. Im awhare that there is a service bulletin on the early 2000's to relocate the vent selonoid because its located near the rear diff and can get clogged. I just replaced my selonoid on my 03' for $40 instead of getting the $120 relocation kit. I had to physically match one up though because my part number was superceded with the new relocation kit part number. I know my buddies 07' was already factory relocated so not sure what year they changed it.
  10. Skippy

Skippy Member 100 Posts

As I understand it (and this makes sense) the fact the gasoline is housed in the ground makes the temperature VERY stable (thus not having a big density change during the day). On one "exposed" episode on TV, they showed the temperature was 62 degree all day along and all night long. The only major time it change was when the gas was being put into it from the fill truck. (just one data point though). Because the storage is in the ground, there is VERY little temperature difference (it's why root cellars remain cool all day) even between day/night. Early evening is probably worst, though if you're looking to measure a degree or two, since the ground has had a chance to warm all day. (still talking about 1-2 degrees at the most!)

'Swhat I understand anyway. If you've got other data, Love to hear it!
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012