1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Finally back and want some opinions!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Klutch Mclovin, Jul 14, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Klutch Mclovin

Klutch Mclovin Rockstar 100 Posts

I've been inactive for a couple of months and trying to become more active. I have an 03 silverado and I'm looking at doing a few things.
    I have my truck leveled and I'm currently saving up for wheels and tires. For the wheels I was thinking about 17x9 machined fuel hostages on some 32" atz's. The wheels have a -12 offset. It will give a stanced look. I was debating on lifting it but I want to save some mpg's. I was also debating on towing mirrors, what do you guys think?

2. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Check out my old truck in my album and you can see what it does to your stance of your truck with the towing mirrors and the rims with leveling kit...let me know what you think

3. Klutch Mclovin

Oddly enough my truck is that color too, except it has tan on the bottom.I like the look of your truck man definitely what I'm going to do. Another idea is a
    Javelina front bumper, it's like a ranch hand without the grille guard. I saw a pic of it on a 06 2500hd which got me thinking if I got the bumper it would look better on a 06 hood and grille, not sure if I want to though.

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Lifting it won't cost you much in the way of MPGs. Bigger tires ... will. Why? Weight. You have to get them moving ... and on hills, keep them moving. That'll mean more fuel coming up to speed from a light ... and more fuel due to downshifts than with your current tires when on inclines (i.e. more falling out of overdrive).

You'll feel the bigger tires in the wallet as a result of those things. You can compensate for the bigger tires by regearing for your new tire size ... which isn't nearly as bad, cost-wise, on a 2wd like yours as you need only parts and labor for one diff, not two. A bigger compensator is a tuner and a custom tune.

If I were you I'd start with a tuner and custom tune. You'll need the tuner to compensate for speedo error that you introduce by increasing your tire size. If you regear you'll need the tuner to tell the truck about your new gears, too -- else you'll have idiot lights on. And a custom tune combined with these things can get you back to near-stock mpg numbers, since you seem to care about it.

I'm only ~1.5 mpg off from stock city and highway mileage and I'm lifted with fairly meaty tires. I was only ~1mpg off but then I added a full-sized matched spare a few weeks ago ... which is, you guessed it, more weight! New cars, today, eliminate spares due to the mpg hit imposed by the weight; it's substantial.

That reminds me -- if you upsize your tires and don't do the spare ... take it off. Shave the weight if you can't use it!

5. Klutch Mclovin

That's why I decided against a lift. I'm choosing to just level it and put some 265/70/17s on it with wheels with a negative offset to give it a nice stance. I don't think I need to do a tune for tires only an inch or two bigger than stock. I get about 18 mpg but I want to give it a mean look without sacrificing mpg's.

6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

do the tune, you speedo will be off, the mileage getting put on your truck (odometer) will be off, plus done right, the tune might pick you up a little mpg, or at least not let it drop any.

Alex

7. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

What size are your stock tires? I only ask because the 265's seem to close to what the stock size is. ( I know mine are 265/?/18 I don't remember the full size) The style of tire M/T,A/T,H/T will also make a difference in the mpg you get. So if that matters keep that in mind when shopping for new meats.

8. Klutch Mclovin

My stock tires are 245/75/16's. I decided to get some Mickey thompson Atz's. They have an aggressive tread but won't kill my mpg.

9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Chaging from 245/75/16's to 275/70/17's will result in a speedo reading that is 5.5% too slow. When your speedo reads 60mph you will actually be going 63.3mph...

10. Klutch Mclovin

I might get a tune in the future, but I'll probably wait once I get the wheels and tires. Have you ever heard of a javelina bumper, I was looking online and it's like a ranch hand without the grille guard and it looks really good. I saw it on a 06 2500hd. I thought it would looke better if I got towing mirrors and upgraded the hood and grille to an 06, what do you think?