1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Finally got the codes read..

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ZSI52, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ok so I was finally able to have my engine light codes read yesterday. It was 2 codes.

PO101 - MAF Mass air flow sensor.
    PO116 - ECT engine control temperature sensor.

I knew the MAF was messed up it has set the code off a few times and I've taken the CAI out and cleaned it each time. It only comes on every few months, but I didn't know the ECT was messed up. I have no idea what that is or where its at lol. Is it the same thing as a Coolant temperature sensor?

I found that at Autozone for 21.99, It was duralast. And I found it on gmpartsclub.com for 22.99.

Would you guys go with the Duralast or the one from gmpartsclub?

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

ECT=Engine Coolant Temperature. These are usually simple thermistors (a resistor whose resistance varies with temperature), and don't fail that often. Even though they aren't very expensive, I would probably take a little time to make sure it is the sensor itself that has failed or see if there's another wiring fault between the ECT and PCM.

3. ZSI52

My bad I thought it was control lol. Anyways. How would I test that? And where is it located at on the engine? Thanks for the help.

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm not sure where it would be on your engine (which engine do you have?). I would start looking near the thermostat, if I had no other idea of where to look.

As noted, a thermistor's resistance varies with temperature. I'd start by putting an ohmmeter on the ECT and see what the resistance is (if you can find a table in a repair manual that says what resistance should be, that would help a lot). If the resistance is reasonable cold, then heat the engine up and see what the resistance is hot. If it isn't changing, or if the sensor reads something unreasonable, then it's bad.

1st thing I'd do for the wiring would be to find the connectors (might only be one at the ECT and one at the PCM) and see if any of them look loose or look like the pins are getting pushed out or corroded. Basically just want to see if there are any obvious breaks in the circuit.

If you can get a hold of a scanner that reads "live" data, then you can see what temperature the PCM is seeing from the ECT and see if wiggling the wires makes any difference.

5. ZSI52

It's a 5.3l v8. My uncle borrowed the scanner and when he was going through the information it was showing him temperatures for everything lol. I'll try to get the scanner again and I'll find the wires and do that. Thanks.