1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Finally got to tow to compare mileage.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by THier, Mar 28, 2009.

1. THier

THier Member

Well everyone, I had to take the car to LI NY last weekend, rented a U-Haul car trailer 2,000lbs, put my PT Cruiser on it ~3800lbs for an all up weight of approx 5800 lbs. Towed it 280miles. 11.8 mpg up, dropped car and trailer there and drove back empty, 15.3mpg back. Overall pretty happy. tows like a champ, good mpg and decent power out a a 1996 350 with 169,000 on the clock.

I am making plans for the future, probably going to stroke a 350 for a 383 small block, if I can I might put a 4L80 in place of the 4L60 in it now. Anyone know if it is a direct swap? Controller wise?

Thanks,
    Tom
  2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hey, 11.8 mpg is pretty decent towing almost 4000 lbs!

You probably already know this, but GM performance makes a 383E drop in stroker.You have the Sequential?? port injection not the TBI, right? If so it is a drop in. It makes 340 hp, and 435 lb-ft-way up over the 250 hp our(98 suburban 5.7 ) motors make stock.Pace has it for $4700 delivered -this includes a new water pump, new distributor, new wires, new spark plugs, and the intake and exhaust gaskets-

This is the worlds greatest performance bargain-comes with a warranty-maybe 3/36000 or so.

It is rated at more torque-435-than the 4L60E is rated for 380 lb ft or so?? I asked the guys at Pace and they say lots of folks get by with a stock 4L60E, by keeping their foot out of it, but what is the point of that?If I ever scrape up the money, I would go with it-383E, plus an aftermarket beefed up 4L60E-lotta shops make them, and claim they can take 450 -500 lb ft.

Luck,
    Charlie