1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Finally off winter blend gas here in St. Louis. Much better MPG.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Apr 17, 2013.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I think we are finally off winter blend gas here in St. Louis. My mileage went up decently with this new tank of 87. After ~40 miles of highway driving having the cruise set at 63 I was getting 21.8 MPG. No I did not reset the average MPG while driving down a hill.

Remember to always use cruise when you can.

20130416_211354.jpg

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Just in time for my trip to Oklahoma. I get 19-20 mpg with summer blend and 16-17 with winter blend. Pretty substantial difference.

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

In CT winter blend is actually more efficient then our summer. Right now were on just plain gas with no state required additives which we only have in spring and fall before the two other blends. The summer gas has an anti smog additive that ends up hurting MPG more than planed.

4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Amen to that, glad to have it back, definitely welcome the added mpg. The only bad thing is nicer weather means I want to drive more and the windows are down. lol Cruise control is the best way to go on interstate and flat terrain so I agree there but on rolling terrain cruise control can hurt more than help from my experience.

5. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

One of the car magazines, possibly car & driver, did a test about 15-17 years ago to determine if a conscientious person could achieve better mileage than cruise control. They used about 10 drivers and 10 diff vehicles. The tests with the drivers controlling the throttle did get a bit better mileage, by about .5 mpg, if i recall. The cruise control vehicels that did the worst were large V8 cars and trucks, where the cruise would downshift going up a hill, speed up, then hang at the CC-set speed without shifing into the next gear. One of the test vehicles was a new Vette, and everyone complained that when the CC downshifted, the thing took off like a rocket...pretty funny.

6. stchman

15-17 years ago probably a bunch of those cars and trucks had carburetors. Today's vehicles have 6 speed transmissions and are far more technologically advanced.

I would like to see a test re-done with today's modern automobiles.

Now, another point, who here is that conscientious on say an 8 hour drive? When on the interstate, I prefer to set the cruise and forget about it.

Edmunds did a test and found up to a 14% fuel savings by using cruise control. If you have it, use it.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/we-test-the-tips.html

7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

This has been my experience as well.

I like to think I am :neutral:; but, I am willing to give it a try. The next time we go to Ontario I will use cc for at least part of the trip.

8. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

15-17 years ago would be 96-98 so we were already into OBDII and (to my knowledge) no carbureted engines made it to OBDII (I think 87 or 88 was the last year for carburetors in GM vehicles) and most everything was already some form of sequential fuel injection. I generally do use cruise (unless I'm in the Camaro which does not have cruise) unless I'm in rough terrain or in city traffic. The biggest advantage to cruise for me though is avoiding speeding tickets. It would be real easy to get going too fast on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock when I'm on my way too or from Oklahoma because of how flat and open it is.

9. stchman

You are assuming that the test used brand new cars, I would have to read the test. I am just a very firm believer in cruise control.

10. redvett

redvett Member

Gm PCM's use a fuel saver mode when cruise is engaged so driving on level road with both scenarios the vehicle will get better fuel economy on cruise. Driving in hilly country cruise will use a bit more fuel.
    I use the manual mode to down shift to 5th BEFORE the hills and get great fuel economy