1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Firestone.. What a rip off.

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by redneckarmyMP, Mar 28, 2012.

1. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I stopped by Firestone today to have my rotors turned after I noticed some hopping while trying to slow down on hills. After an hour and a half of waiting with my truck up on the rack, I was informed my rotors cannot be turned and i need new ones. Alright, I can buy that. Then i was told my idler and pitman arm need replaced as well.. Sure, I'll take their word for it. Then i was shown a bill for almost 1500 dollars! 400 bucks for rotors alone another 400 for the idler and pitman arm as well as 700 for labor. I responded with "Put the wheels back on the truck, I gotta go home."

Just a rant but anybody else had problems with them? Looked around and found all the parts listed for a grand total of 200 bucks
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

Holy Crap!! That is a rip off. I work at a shop and our rate is $80 an hour which is on the cheap side in this area. I could see your rotors needing replaced if they cut too much off the first time and now they are too thin to cut again. If your truck came into my shop id bet I could have that job done in around 2 hours and like you said about $200 in parts. So id say between $400 to $500 total
  3. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

The worst part is, there is probably nothing wrong with the rotors, idler or pitman arms. I was told the rotor story on my Bronco II at a Goodyear store when I went in for a $15 oil change. When they wanted a fortune to do the work, I went home and did the job myself. Funny, the pads were not grinding into the rotors like they said they were........ Rotor did not have to be replaced. Hell, I don't think I even turned them since they were pretty smooth! Lying bastards!
  4. Blazer454

Blazer454 Member

We get these kind of things all the time from Les Schwab Tires. People will go in for a rotate or new tires and they will try to sell them the farm with a whole new front end or all new brakes. Then the people bring their car to us to look at and we usually find nothing wrong. Or they might need one item out of the ten they were quoted
  5. JnBama

JnBama Active Member 3 Years 500 Posts

Yep, bad reviews of shoody work and ripoffs by Firestone on BBB, messed up the cooling system on my Monte Carlo . Filed a complaint with the BBB and after a phone call with the district mgr got a refund

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Hey there neighbor! Firestone big ripoff in this area
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

You're right down the road jnbama! Yea, I was at the one on the corner of bob wallace and the parkway. Huge rip off.
  7. dogred

dogred Member

Smart move to walk out.
    Just as a heads up from working behind the counter of a big auto parts chain, most of the repair companies get the parts cheaper than you can get them over the counter and then charge almost double what they paid for the parts.
  8. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

I've had my fair share of run-ins with Firestone myself.. it seems that the need to rip people off is company-wide. Their reputation will soon haunt them if i had to make a guess haha.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Guys it's been said on here before STAYAWAY FROM Firestone,Sears,Goodyear and many other Nat'ls chains.. They hire Back yard A -Holes who don't know what they are doing and are trained to MAKE money for the Co NOT repair your car.. 20/20 and many other News Ch's have said the same...
  10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's really sad how many of these places do this type of thing notoriously. That's one of the biggest things I miss about living in Southern California. There were shops my family has been going to since before I was born and always treated us well. In Washington, I don't have the same confidence anywhere yet.