First bow tie in about 16 years...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Cobrasix, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

Yeah, I had a dry spell.

However, my 1991 exploder that I had owned since 1995 finally gave out. Can't complain, 325k miles and only one tranny rebuild. It was just rotting apart though.

I closed the deal on a 2004 Silverado Extended Cab 4D 1500 Z71 4x4 tonight. Couldn't complain. it does have 299k miles on it, but the transmission was rebuilt 4 months ago. New Tires, new brakes. It was a fleet vehicle and appears to have been well maintained. The bed is a little beat up on the inside. The rear passenger door has some damage where something backed into the truck. Rear bumper has some damage.

However, for $3500 I couldn't pass it up. I had been looking at 95-99 trucks in the same price range (albeit lower mileage) but with a lot more rust. Tough to find rust free trucks in Massachusetts that old.

This truck is backup transportation, a dump runner, Depot Hauling, Victorian rebuilding home truck. It'll likely see 5-8k miles a year at the most. Though driving it around tonight, it was nicer to drive than my Volvo.

Karsforkids.org will be picking up my Exploder next week. I go from a black Ford Explorer to a white Chevy Silverado. Can't wait to pick it up and get in back home. Of course, I need to load it up right away...got a dump run to make. The Evap canister is acting up some, but looks easy enough to get at on the 04.

Figure it'll also be good to pick up parts for my 65 Mustang Convertible. ;)

I'll be lurking around a bit, hopefully help out some here and there.

2. mad1500hd

mad1500hd Rockstar 100 Posts

welcome to the site! congrats on your 04! 299K, that's awesome...i'm just coming up on 96K myself on my 07...see you around the site...

3. Cobrasix

Cobrasix New Member

I'll post some pictures up later. My phone was dieing and didn't get a chance.

I do most of my own work, so the miles don't bother me. The engine still purred like a kitten. Looked like the rear main seal was leaking just a hair, but nothing too bad.

We'll see...I'll be the one to take it over 300k miles though.

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club! Glad to see your back on track with the bow ties :)

5. SPARKY777

SPARKY777 New Member

Welcome, Yea it is hard finding rust free trucks that old in Mass, The bottoms of the doors on my 04 are starting to bubble so i got some SEM Rust seal to put on them.

6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome!!!

7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

8. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

glad to see you stayed with the bowtie! welcome!

9. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome aboard, you wanna talk about rust huh, ive had 2 chevies that you cold see thru every panel on them.. Still ran but wow talk about drafty!!!

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club.