1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

First Person Shooter Games (and more) Forever Banned In My House

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ChevyFan, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Go get your kids the Best toy in the world!!!! LEGO's!!!!!!
  2. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy Member 1 Year 500 Posts

Or you can get them a gun, doesnt have to be big. Just so you can teach them how to use them proper. Also the what and what not to do with a gun.
  3. lonelywolf858

lonelywolf858 Rockstar 100 Posts

I play FPS like many others. Not as much as I used to but I still get on periodically. I grew up playing them and not once had the urge to go out and do something violent. I believe this was a difference in my upbringing that children today lack. Real discipline. My parents wouldn't hesitate to throw me over their knees and swat me a few times. I wasn't allowed to be out after the street lights came on or be with people my parents thought were bad influences. I hated it at the time but truly appreciate it now.

P.S. Legos are the greatest toys ever. I believe they are the reason I have an ability to engineer about anything I can think of. I can't wait to have a son so I have an excuse to play with them again.
  4. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Games… OK like Grand theft Auto they should be able to play when they can buy 17yrs old. Yes I played the first one and thought it was fun but at the same time extreme. Now like Modern warfare well no earphones turn off voice no blood and lock it that way. A Parent should be a parent and use good judgment. I know the PS3 you can create different users to sign in and the main one, you (with a code) and lock up what you don’t want your kids to do. Thing are so different now since we were kids, and for me that was only 16 years ago.

Schools… Here we have 3 middle schools about 1k kids in each (1 cop each), 6 elementary about 330 kids each (1 security guard each). The High School is 4k+ kids (3 cops+ 3 security) plus can walk from the high school to police station in 3mins. All of them have cameras than can be live feed to police station. Trust me it cost a lot of money in taxes and fees but it is what it is.
  5. bowaddict13

bowaddict13 Member

All in All you are the person buying the game right so if you dont want your kids playing them dont buy them .. now i will admit this family has alot of games. some of these both of my sons are not aloowed to play, my wife and I are very strict about it . Along with that Iam sorry if this offends anyone but i am going to go back to it .. IF YOU RAISE YOUR KIDS AND ARE PART OF THEIR LIVES NOT USING A VIDEO GAME OR TV AS A BABYSITTER , TAKING THEM OUT DOING THINGS HUNTING, FISHING , HIKING, GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY, HAVE THEM WORK ON THE TRUCK WITH YOU SHOOTING THE GUNS AT A CLUB OR ON YOUR PROPERTY , TEACHING THEM RIGHT FROM WRONG , SHOW YOUR CHILDREN GOOD MORALS AND VALUES, BE INVOLED IN THEIR LIVES AND SCHOOL SIT DOWN WITH THEM WHEN THEY DO THEIR HOMEWORK. SHOW UP TO AND SUPPORT THE SPORTS THEY PLAY . JUST BE THEIR AND MAKE THEM AWARE OF IT BE SURE THEY KNOW THAT YOU LOVE THEM AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE THAT WAY NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!!!...... So sorry if i went on a bit but it is a parents responsability to rasie you kids and teach them mold them into a better you so be involved with your kids and the rest will take care of itself . as far as I am concerned it will always fall on the parent if you are not aware or involved you should not of taken on the biggest responabilty of having children!
  6. Project1

Project1 Rockstar 100 Posts

Steve thank you for being a parent! And not trying to blame video games.my wife and i had this discussion the other day .
  7. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Video games, Rap music(a contradiction in terms), violent movies are not 100% to blame for what is happening to our country's youth, but they are not 0% to blame.

IMO, the above are for adults. I think it is up to parents to teach their children right from wrong and not have politicians pass redundant laws stripping honest law abiding citizens of our Constitutional rights.
  8. oxendale

oxendale Member

Im glad I came across this, we just realized how bad some games are for our children a few months ago. I mean we always knew they werent the best but allowed our 9 and 5 year old to play what they chose. Im not proud to say i even allowed them to play the grand theft auto games or saints row games which are very similiar. However it seemed like the more they played them they began to actually just go around on rampages and laugh hysterically. At that point I realized it had gone to far and took away all the games that were not suited for their age. I am glad to see im not the only parent who sees how these games can affect kids. As was already said I dont think we can blame the games fully however we cannot totally disregard the influence they have on children. I only wish I could have been smarter and not allowed these types of games to played by my children in the first place!
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

turns out the kid was a nutjob, as we know now. His mother trained him on survivalist tactics and the kid did all of the murders with HANDGUNS, not with the assault rifles. Sigh, still ... we live in very interesting time when we now have an entire culture that is being raised online and are consuming more and more violent and sexual material than ever before. Where's that going to lead us? Your guess is as good as mine. I think that 95% of all people will just be fine ... but in 10 years, maybe that's only going to be 90% that's just fine.

It might not even be one generation, maybe it will be a sliding scale where each generation gets more and more permissive until we get to a point where our great-great-grandchildren don't even care about anything anymore and we get sacked just like ancient Rome did.