First Suburban, Brake issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by thedude4355, Mar 30, 2014.

1. thedude4355

thedude4355 New Member

Just bought a 1999 Suburban, 103k miles on it, i've put 1000 on it and just started having a brake issue. The brake light is on, and the brake pedal is going most of the way down before engaging the brakes. I've always owned older (60's and 70's) cars/trucks and would usually assume this is a Master Cylinder problem, that perhaps the front or rear brakes aren't working. Any thoughts? This was a very sudden changed, I had just gotten home from a long trip, towing a trailer. Brakes were normal the whole trip. Got in this morning and the brake light stays on and brake pedal goes down a long way. Any advise would be helpful and might save me some time/money. thanks

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i would bet that you have a leak somewhere. maybe a rear wheel cylinder. I would pull the tires off and start looking around. fill the master up with fluid and have someone press the pedal. if it is a line leaking it will spray out under pressure.

3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It is not uncommon for the brake lines to corrode and leak after 10 years or so if the truck is driven on salt-treated roads.

If you refill the reservoir and pump the brakes a couple of times there should be enough fluid ejected that you can find the leak by looking for the puddle and the drips.

4. paracutin

paracutin Rockstar 100 Posts

Just had all the hard lines on my 03 Suburban 2500 replaced. Local shop charged me $760.