Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

First Time Poster But Long Time Reader - Need a little help

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by SurrealOne, Aug 14, 2011.

1. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Greetings,
    I just traded my stock 2001 Silverado LS for a 2004 Sierra SLT Ext. Cab that's got a 6" Fabtech lift and completely bald 325/70R17 Open Country AT's on non-stock 17" wheels that I hate. I looked at this as a chance to put on what I want, but I am completely new to the lifted world and need a little help...

I've chosen a wheel (Helo 835 18x9, 18mm offset, 5.71 backspace) but have been unable to determine the largest tire I can use without trimming. (This means I've also not selected a tire, yet.) Combing these forums (searches) has yielded no usable help, as those running similar setups are either NBS, a different lift height, or have trimmed. I'm contemplating the following:
    • 33x12.5R18's
    • 35x12.5R18's
    Can anyone provide insight as to whether I can run either of these sizes on that wheel without issue or trimming? Can I go bigger? If so, how much bigger? Should I go smaller? If so, what do you recommend?

While I am asking questions, I'm also looking for a wheel-to-wheel nerf bar (with step) that will fit the truck. The trick is it's got an 8' bed and I'm finding few options for that scenario. Any advice there would be welcome, too, as climbing into the truck as well as getting to a truck box is tough for me without this.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I believe the maximum wheel backspacing with the Fabtech lift is 4.5". Check out N-Fabs step bars.

3. SurrealOne

Thanks, that's useful information. Looks like it's 17x8 @4.5in BS or I'm back to wheel shopping again. *sigh*

I had checked out N-Fab step bars but they don't seem to have 6-step bars for 2004 trucks with long (8') beds. About all I can find is Tough Country...

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  4. SurrealOne

silveradotrailblazer,
    Much thanks for the response -- it was the piece of information I was missing to fit the pieces of the puzzle together, properly. Everything's squared away, decision-wise, and the appropriate purchases have been made. Now I wait. *sigh*

5. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 Member

this probly wont help any now since you bought every thing but if you get the wheel since and every thing your thinkin about runnin and take it up to like a discount tire or some thin they can always tell you if theres going to be rubbing

6. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You'll be fine running 35x18x12.5 tires! 6in lift and 35 tire is a great combo :)

7. SurrealOne

A little bit of information in case others might find it useful:
    1. With 4.5" backspace being stock for my truck and 4 5/8" being the backspace supported for a 6" Fabtech lift I elected to stick with 4.5".
    2. I found that my chosen wheel was available in 4.5" BS as a 17x8 rim... a bit smaller than I'd wanted but acceptable.
    3. The 17x8 rim coupled with my desire for Nitto Trail grapplers AND insistence on a D-rated tire for ride quality brought me to 315/70R17. The 35x12.5R17 (next size up) is an E-rated tire and needs a minimum of 8.5" wide rims -- both of which are no-go's for me.
    So my tires will be 34.61" tall instead of 34.84" ... and have 1/32" less tread depth than they'd have had in 35x12.5R17. I'm pretty pleased with the selection. Mounting, balancing, and alignment is being done this morning.

Surreal

P.S. I ended up ordering IC's 4" polished stainless wheel-to-wheel nerf bars (NERF431CH). Next I need to research dual alternator and battery setups (possibly with a combiner), as I want the redundancy of dual alternators and the discharge capacity of dual, deep-cycle batteries. It's a precursor to some heavy electrical additions. :)