Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

First time towing questions.. Tire psi/Air-bag questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by beforeiforget761, May 16, 2010.

1. beforeiforget761

beforeiforget761 New Member

Hello again!
    I've got my 2004 Silverado 1500 5.3L

This weekend, i'm going to be towing a 2008 Mustang on a flat bed trailer, and it's going to be over some pretty hilly roads.. and might be a little warm outside (around 90degrees-ish).

My truck came with some pretty heavy-duty tires (in my opinion) when I bought it.. Dunlop LT265-75R16, and it also has air-bag spring assists in the rear. I'm kind of new to towing, especially with these air-bags in the back.
    Anyone know what kind of air pressures I should be running in the tires? Just keep it at the usual pressure the sticker on the truck says, or bump it up a little bit?
    What about the air bags.. just put air in them until the truck looks level with the trailer attached??

Thanks!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Tires should be set to manufacturers PSI and air the bags up until you sit level providing you've got your tounge weight correct.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Tire pressure depends on the load range of the tires, and truthfully, the weight on the rear axle. If they are "E" range, you don't want 80 in them.

As for the air bags, inflate to level the truck as mentioned.