1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fitting a 6x9 where the 4x10 goes

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Crawdaddy, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

In the rear side panels of the Sub, It has a pair of 4x10 speakers. I would very much like to replace them with 6x9s, to make my speaker choices greater. I'm just worried that the 6x9 will not be big enough to cover the 5.5x12 inch area that the grille for the exsiting 4x10 stock speakers go. I'd like to keep it looking as nice as possible, but I don't have a 6x9 handy to measure the outside dimensions of the frame and mounting points, etc. Anyone have some wisdom to impart upon this conundrum?
  2. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

There is a small bracket that does just this. I found them at a car audio shop.
    Relatively cheap. Simply 4/9 to 6/9 bracket. If room will allow.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I guess my question was not really will it fit, but rather, will the 6x9 be big enough to cover the uglyness and uneveness of the carpet on the wall behind where the 4x10 speaker grille and such mounted. I'd like to keep the truck looking as good as possible, which would include not having ugly carpet padding and such showing. See this picture too see what I mean about the ugly padding and such around the speaker. With the factory grille there all that is hidden, but I'd like it to be covered by the 6x9, which will not be able to use the 4x10 grille (obviously). My uncle and I could possibly make a nice looking wood baffle to hide that stuff and mount it there, but I'd rather not go that route unless I absolutley have to. Thanks
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Double check a good car audio shop, They probably will hook you up with something nice. I seen your pictures. I'm pretty sure I've seen something. Hope I'm right and its cheap :redface: Good luck.