1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

five speed swap help

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by yukonlover89, Jun 16, 2009.

1. yukonlover89

yukonlover89 New Member

me and my buddy just finished putting a five speed into his 1995 ext cab that was an automatic one problem that we are having is finding a way to get the reverse lights to work... what i was wondering is how the reverse lights work on a five speed and any suggestions thanks
  2. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if it is the nv3500 its a little sensor that is plugged into the transmission and when you put it in reverse it toggles the switch and activates a relay and on come the lights. at least tat is how it is on my truck
  3. yukonlover89

yukonlover89 New Member

i dunno the five speed is out of 1990 silverado
  4. mateospeed

mateospeed Member

regardless of what transmission it is, there will be a reverse switch on it. If you can't get ahold of a wiring diagram, you should be able to test wires and see which one turns on when you put the truck in reverse. let me know if you need more detailed instructions.
    -matt
  5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Matt is correct. What you need to do now is locate the reverse light wire which is located in the old MLPS sensor harness from the automatic transmission.