Fix Windshield Scratches/Etching?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by MWright936, Feb 11, 2012.

1. MWright936

MWright936 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Last summer, I went to the beach for a week, and ever since, my windshield seems to have tons of tiny little scratches on it when the sun hits it. The only thing I can guess is the salt/sand in the air scratched or etched it all over. Is there any easy way to polish these out? It's all over the whole windshield. Thanks!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I've had good success using Jewelers Rouge on small areas to clean up scratches but never used it on a whole windshield, probably be time consuming.
    In the 80's when I was stationed in San Diego we used to clean forward wind screens and canopys on F-14's with Bon Ami to get off the grit and take out small scratches every morning. We would mix it real dry and use it like polish in a circular motion then wipe off the excess with a clean cloth.
    On the gunnery range out in the desert the jets would gesandblasted flying through debri kicked up by the jets running across the target boards in front of them.