Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Fixed Rust and Added Flares!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by PondWarrior, Nov 5, 2012.

1. PondWarrior

PondWarrior New Member

I have a 2001 Silverado, and like any older Chevy truck it had rust over the back wheel wells..
    So I put up with it for a little bit but decided to cover it with Chrome strip flares, Easy temporary fix!
    The Chrome strips worked good until the rubber seal around the edges started to fade, crack and fall apart. They would flap around on the highway!
    I would suggest them for a new truck, but don't get too attached because they eventually tarnish and warp and will eventually need replacing to keep in top notch shape!
    Soo.... I was bored this weekend and decided to remove my chrome!

Flares 1.jpg

Surprise!! the rust spread a bit.
    I looked at my local hardware/automotive store (Canadian Tire, if any North of the 49er's are reading ;)) and purchased this awesome 3M drill attachment, it was porous, almost looked like a sponge, but wasn't squishy. And my god....
    I would rate it a 10 our of 10, if you have any body work to do. Get the right tool for the job. Stripped off the paint and rust in a matter of seconds!

Flares 2.jpg

Right down to the metal! It wasn't as bad as I thought, just surface and paint rust! But better to fix it before it spread.
    I also bought some "Rust Killer" Primer and inhibitor 2 in 1, and some white automotive spray paint, taped off areas of overspray sprayed it all.

Flares 3 .jpg

Flares 4 .jpg
    You can see here that the colours didn't match up perfectly but that's ok, I wasn't planning on having it exposed, I just wanted to clean it up and fix the rust. Please keep in mind I had rust over both of the back wheel wells and some very minor on the front ones, I just took pictures of the one to make it easier. :)
    Flares 5.jpg
    I had purchased some fender flares from the local private ads, turns out that they were just unsold product from a guy's auto accessory store, so they were brand new and in the box. Killer deal!! $200! I got them painted white by a buddy of mine, the colour isn't perfect but I'm not too picky, it is an 11 year old truck after all and it will have to fade to match. Here's how they look..​

Flares 6.jpg

Beefy! Now I just need some new tires so I'm not rollin around on some Pizza Cutters! I'm pretty pleased with the way that they look. They are Xenon, a brand that I had never heard of and made of polyurethane. They are essentially rubbery and very flexible, so we had to do a little bit of wrestling to get the front ones in place but they look good! Hopefully they hold up in the temperature changes and the sun!
    All in all, Good Weekend!

2. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Nice work, I gotta do a similar job on my 94. Thankfully, its just one wheel well and not all four.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Looks good solves a problem.

4. pikefisher

pikefisher Member

Looks great: Buy the way what stores carry the drill bit attachment for paint removal?

5. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

looks great....yeah, I know what Canadian Tire is :).....Brian from Ontario, Canada