1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Flasher/turn signal problems - New relay in need?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by Springthing, Dec 29, 2008.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

First, let's pretend this is on a GM. It's not, but let's pretend anyway.. :)

I got into a minor accident a few weeks back and - got hit on the side - and since then the Musta-..I mean the GM vehicle started to have the turn signals not working properly. When the vehicle is cold (just starting out for the day) the t.s. work fine but after a few miles the lights 'stick'. The t.s. goes on and stays lit instead of clicking on and off.

I had a little time to mess around tonight so I went out and played around for a bit. Drove down the road and then the t.s. started to act up so I came back home and fooled around in the driveway.

I found that if the t.s. stuck, I could put the hazard lights on and the relay would click back off and on again. The hazard lights worked fine. When I went back to strictly the t.s. the relay would stick again. I got lucky twice by getting the relay to click off and then back on by tapping on the relay under the dash a few times.

Does this sound like maybe I need a new relay? Perhaps the one there got jostled somehow and isn't working properly now?

I'll most likely end up getting a new one to put on anyhow, but wanted to run that by everyone to see what they had to say.

Thanks!

2. DemoMatt3

DemoMatt3 Member

I would start there, it's most likely the problem. but in any case, since it's not a fuse, the relay would be the next cheapest place to go with something like that... at least it's still running... (stupid fords and impact switches)

3. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

T.S.

Hey Spring!
    If you hit a relay hard enough it will interrupt the connection in the relay because, after all it is mechanical!
    If it works properly when you use the flashers then it's not the relay.
    The first thing I would like to know is:
    Did the crash get into any wiring on the vehicle?
    If it was working before the crash then most likely nothing that wasn't hit isn't the problem.
    I've seen in the past where the customer never knew that the wiring was damaged in a crash till you broke down the harness and VIOLA!
    Sounds like you may have some wires pinched somewheres.
    Just in case your wondering about my credibility.
    I'm no longer a certified ASE Tech. due to the fact that I let it expire a few years back because the work I do now, no longer requires it.
    I am currently a Electromechanical Technician for an ROV(Remote Controlled Submarines) company.
    Any other quetions. Feel free to ask!

TTYL!
    Pencil Pro
    http://www.pencilwip.com/

4. Springthing

Yes, the flashers/turn signals were working fine before the accident.

The accident wasn't all that bad and I don't think it hit anything where it could have caused any wiring harness damage.

My first thought was a pinched wire as well but with the hazards not causing the same problem the only explanation I could come up with was that there wasn't enough juice going through the relay to trip it on/off correctly. I'm no expert, so I don't know how the entire system works for sure. I just figured that the flashers would still have power going through the same wires and a short/pinch would cause the same effect with the hazards or turn signals on.

Also, both t.s. have the problem. Doesn't matter if I've got the right one on or the left one. I know all the wires are strung to the harness all together, but thought I'd mention that.

Thanks again for the input.

5. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

You probably have some type of BCM(Body Control Module) of some sort.
    That may be where your problem is. Impact damage to Electronic boards can create some weird issues.
    If the wiring is fine I would suspect the BCM. From the sounds of it it was more front end damage.
    Keep in mind that the turn signals are seperated in the circuit to allow the flashers to operate both or to use the turn signals individually for t.s. This is also why I wouldn't suspect the relay.
    The other place, other than the BCM, where the signals are seperated, are in the switch itself.
    If the crash wasn't in the area of that switch, then I wouldn't suspect that either which is why my thoughts were toward the wiring or the controller of the parts in question.
    Maybe this will help you lead to finding it. I would look into getting your hands on a schematic to the vehicle and find out what controlls it and go from there.

6. Springthing

I think I'll end up having to buy the book for this one. If there's one thing I hate it's electrical gremlins! Grrr!!! One way or another I'll find out what's going on - this is the daily driver and turn signals are kind of important for it's use!

The accident was on the rear of the driver's door and driver's 1/4 panel. It's difficult to see in the picture above, but it's the best one I had.

Thanks for the reply!

7. PencilPro

PencilPro Member

I don't know what I was thinking when I said frnt! LOL
    I meant that it wasn't in the frnt due to the fact you mentioned it wasn't in the T.S. area!:rofl:
    Yea, I would say it was an important issue to resolve.
    Let me know what you find.