1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Flat Panel TVs - LCD vs. Plasma (and more)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

So I think it's time that I get a new TV. Let's discuss the differences between all the new types of Flat Panels that are out there, shall we?

What do you have? LCD or Plasma and what are the differences?

2. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

LCD flat screen for me.

3. Stargazer

Stargazer Rockstar

I bought a Sony 52" LCD last year. I debated between Plasma and LCD, but chose LCD based upon the room the TV was going in.

My advice? Go big. Go as big as you can. In fact, go bigger than what you think you need because what ever you get first, you'll want something bigger afterwards :money:.

Plus, don't forget to budget for HD channels and a Blu-ray player (like a PS3). Once you get high-definition, watching standard definition (SD) will be painful!

One last thing: Do NOT buy Monster Cables or any of that other high-priced HDMI connections they sell in the big box stores for $50+. You can get high-quality HDMI cables online for about $10.

4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I heard that the plasma tv's put out large amounts of heat and draws more energy.

5. no0b123

no0b123 Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

32" Samsung LCD HDTV. Excellent TV. I recommend a much larger one, and 1080p native. Be sure to buy one with a built in HD tuner too. And plasma is bad for gaming because it leaves "burn in" damage if the game is paused for long periods of time (about 2 weeks straight but still....). Also, the thing about expensive cables is true; a $10 dollar HDMI cable is equivalent to a $65 dollar one.

6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I AGREE 100%
    we have a 54 inch LCD Magnavox.. great tv!

Plasma is a form of a liquid
    LCD is a bunnnchhhhh of mirriors.

I would reccomend LCD.
    And Blu Ray is an AMAZING picture!

dont forget surround soiund too :)

7. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'd go with the LCD, also. I like the one I bought, because it is so easy to move considering the size of the screen.

8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I put an LCD flat screen in my trailer last year, it is a good TV. In my house I have a Mitsubishi 47" HD - it's OK but I was at Circuit City yesterday looking for a new system. I am thinking that I want to replace everything Plasma, Blue Ray, DVD and surround system. Sony Bravia has a complete system that you can mix and match together. I have heard that Visio is a really good product at a good price, and it seemed like LG puts out a good system.
    Iguess it really bolis down to what set looks best. I think they all work pretty good. But Plasmas do put out a lot of heat.

9. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Philips LCD 42 inch full HD with Ambilight it's just amazing :great:

10. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

52" Vizio Plasma. Love the picture with DirectTV HD channels as well as PS3 BlueRay.