GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Flat Panel TVs - LCD vs. Plasma (and more)

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by ChevyFan, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

So I think it's time that I get a new TV. Let's discuss the differences between all the new types of Flat Panels that are out there, shall we?

What do you have? LCD or Plasma and what are the differences?

2. retired

retired New Member

LCD flat screen for me.
  3. Stargazer

Stargazer New Member

I bought a Sony 52" LCD last year. I debated between Plasma and LCD, but chose LCD based upon the room the TV was going in.

My advice? Go big. Go as big as you can. In fact, go bigger than what you think you need because what ever you get first, you'll want something bigger afterwards :money:.

Plus, don't forget to budget for HD channels and a Blu-ray player (like a PS3). Once you get high-definition, watching standard definition (SD) will be painful!

One last thing: Do NOT buy Monster Cables or any of that other high-priced HDMI connections they sell in the big box stores for $50+. You can get high-quality HDMI cables online for about $10.
  4. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 New Member

I heard that the plasma tv's put out large amounts of heat and draws more energy.
  5. no0b123

no0b123 New Member

32" Samsung LCD HDTV. Excellent TV. I recommend a much larger one, and 1080p native. Be sure to buy one with a built in HD tuner too. And plasma is bad for gaming because it leaves "burn in" damage if the game is paused for long periods of time (about 2 weeks straight but still....). Also, the thing about expensive cables is true; a $10 dollar HDMI cable is equivalent to a $65 dollar one.
  6. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member

I AGREE 100%
    we have a 54 inch LCD Magnavox.. great tv!

Plasma is a form of a liquid
    LCD is a bunnnchhhhh of mirriors.

I would reccomend LCD.
    And Blu Ray is an AMAZING picture!

dont forget surround soiund too :)
  7. retired2001

retired2001 New Member

I'd go with the LCD, also. I like the one I bought, because it is so easy to move considering the size of the screen.
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member

I put an LCD flat screen in my trailer last year, it is a good TV. In my house I have a Mitsubishi 47" HD - it's OK but I was at Circuit City yesterday looking for a new system. I am thinking that I want to replace everything Plasma, Blue Ray, DVD and surround system. Sony Bravia has a complete system that you can mix and match together. I have heard that Visio is a really good product at a good price, and it seemed like LG puts out a good system.
    Iguess it really bolis down to what set looks best. I think they all work pretty good. But Plasmas do put out a lot of heat.
  9. Davandy

Davandy Moderator

Philips LCD 42 inch full HD with Ambilight it's just amazing :great:
  10. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member

52" Vizio Plasma. Love the picture with DirectTV HD channels as well as PS3 BlueRay.
  11. dutzowmo

dutzowmo New Member

I own a 42' LCD from LG and love the quality and also own a 56' toshiba DLP and love the picture. The only downside to plasma is that it can burn an image into the screen if it is left on for very long periods of time
  12. SoonerSilverado11

SoonerSilverado11 New Member

Hehe, LCD = LIQUID crystal display. Just thought this was kinda funny. No offense intended!

And LCD is what's up. Plasma will not last nearly as long and does have the burn in feature. I would recommend the Samsung LCD with the new LED technology. It's mantastic, nuff said. :biggrin:

Oh, and if you go Blue-ray, make sure you get one with an adequate refresh rate. Otherwise you will be extremely disappointed with yourself... :(
  13. unknown19

unknown19 New Member

I picked up a 37 inch Vizio full HD along with DishNetwork HD channels for my bedroom, along with the PS3, looks amazing :great:. Now i'm just debating on the best surround sound system I can get. I actually thinking about getting a 40 inch maybe after the first of the year.
  14. chiefholdem

chiefholdem New Member

TV's

I have a 52" Sharp LCD in an entertainment center that raises the TV up and down with a Sony Dream System for the surround sound (use fiber optic cables for the best sound), we moved our 42" Philips plasma with ambilight to the bed room on a wall mount, and we also have a 37" Vizio LCD. Looking to get a Blu-Ray with surround sound when I return from Iraq. Does anyone know of any that have wireless speakers?
  15. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member

My 52" Samsung LCD is the bomb diggity :great:

[​IMG]
  16. cascott325

cascott325 New Member

3 of my friends got new tv's for christmas, only one of which was an LCD. The quality of the plasma is outstanding, but the longevity of its lifespan my be disappointing in the end due to its need to burn gasses which it WILL eventually run out of whereas LCD doesnt use gasses therefore you dont have to worry about it running out. plasma's life expectancy is somewhere around ten years give or take a few depending on how much you use it. the burn in thing, 2 of the tv's are panasonic brand, and i recomend carefully reading the owners manual b/c they have features that will help increase the life of your screen and picture.
  17. bassalive

bassalive New Member

I have the original 27" TV/stereo that my IN LAWS had for 20 years. We are gonna see how long it will go. By the way the picture is great and, I can spend the extra Mon. on truck parts. he he he he. I also have a "Pocket fisherman" that I fish Bass tournaments with........lol
  18. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 New Member

Ultimately what tv you should get depends greatly on what type of viewing you plan on doing with it and the environment you are doing it in. For example, the new buzzword in LCD panels is screen frame rate, that is how many frames it displays per second. you can expect to pay 150 to 200% more for a panel that has a 120Hz framerate versus a 60Hz framerate. (for comparison most plasma panels have a framerate of around 480Hz)

Another big advantage of plasma over lcd is the 'black levels', which is to say that plasmas typically have much deeper, truer blacks than the highest end of LCD's. So if you're planning on doing a lot of movie watching (especially action flicks) or sports, then plasma may be the way to go.However there are a couple of caveats with plasma. The Burn in issue is no longer a big deal because most manufacturers have a pixel shift feature to prevent this.

I originally purchased a plasma set only to bring it back for an LCD set. Why? Glare issues plain and simple. You need to be very aware of where you are placing the set, if its in a room with a lot of windows then you should purchase an LCD. Also depending on the altitude you are using it at can determine your choices. Plasma does not perform well over a certain altitude due to the gases in it. Also Plasmas must be upright at all times due to this same reason.

As far as screen resolution (ie 1080p vs 720p) this can also depend on viewing circumstances and screen size. For example if you have a 37" LCD tv like myself and your viewing distance is ~12 feet away you will not notice a difference between the 720p and 1080p screen resolution unless you have the eyes of a hawk. Now the difference between the two resolutions becomes more apparent if you increase the screen size or decrease the viewing distance. So it all depends on the viewing circumstances as far as whats worth it to you.

You might've noticed I've spent a significant amount of time researching this. But I like to know what I am spending my money on before I committ. Ultimately it depends on what you are looking for and your viewing evironment and habits. Let me know if anything I've said is incorrect or if you have any more questions. Here is a handy link I found regarding resolutions corresponding to screen size and viewing distance:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html