1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Flexfuel

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by asstda2b, Dec 11, 2008.

1. asstda2b

asstda2b Rockstar 100 Posts

Does anyone own one.......I plan on buying one, esp. out here in traffic hell. I wwanted to know if you really see a difference in fuel. Can't drive a TB forever.
  2. Akula682

Akula682 Rockstar

what difference are you talking about?

1 Gallon of Ethonal has less BTU's than 1 Gallon of Gasoline, So you will see a decrease in MPG's (even when using E85). The payoff is that E85 costs less than gasoline.

here in Niagara Falls E85 is around 1.90 to 1.95 while gasoline is about 2.10 or so.
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I know a lady that has one and she claims that she can't tell a difference but the fuel MPG wasn't impressive. Hope that helps for second hand knowledge.
  4. 00z71

00z71 New Member

IMO it is not worth running you may save the 20 cents or whatever but you lose MPG and performance as well. Not worth it to me. Just a side note Gas is 1.30/gal here in KS now...
  5. Akula682

Akula682 Rockstar

How are you loosing performance? E85 is rated at 105 octane. (+/- 2 or 3 points)

and :gasp: gas is 1.30... whats diesel running at?
    gas is about 2.10/E85 is about 1.90 and diesel is still about 3.00
  6. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

my truck has the flexfuel option to run regular gas or e85. as far as mpg it runs pretty good on reg gas switching to the v4 on flat surface and going down hills.still looking for an e85 station around me to test the e85 in the truck for proformance.
  7. Sooner

Sooner Rockstar

I think the E85 is more of a green thing. I'm not an expert on it. But I've swapped several engines over to methanol and seen as much as a10% increase in HP. That's an estimate considering the higher octane rating allowed us to run higher compression ratios and timing. It also runs cooler and is somewhat safer than gasoline. However, it takes almost twice as much methanol to get the correct air-to-fuel ratio as gasoline. Therefore, our MPG (if we happened to be concerned with it) were nearly cut in half. I would think that E85 would have to be priced pretty cheap to make it economical (at 100% alcohol you'll burn up nearly twice as much, I'm too lazy to do the math at 85%). So, I'm thinking the E85 is more for those folks that want to pay extra to save the environment.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  8. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I got a hippie in the family that says there is a E85 staton in Los Angeles City and one bio diesel station. Haven't seen them yet.
  9. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Yeah I know there is one in LA, San Diego somewhere, and farther up the coast. All are a little farther then I want to drive just to get gas. lol
  10. JMoney02

JMoney02 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have the Flex Fuel/ standard fuel system and have not had the opportunity to try the fuel as it is not here in Tampa that I know of. Also, various posts here have presented problems about flex fuel and the decrease in MPG and performance issues, along with engine problems. With apparent savings of approx. 20 cents per gallon, not a real checkbook savings for me.....

Jeff