1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Flight 93 Memorial in PA

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by adampaul1964, Aug 30, 2009.

1. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Took a drive today to visit the Flight 93 memorial in Shanksville P.A. (about 80 miles west of our home along U.S.route 30) and I must say it was a very moving and poignant experience.We have visited ground zero in New York and the emotions and feelings were the same. I just can't imagine what those brave people went through on that horrific day, what they did is a testament to the true human spirit. May they rest in eternal peace and be forever remembered for their bravery and sacrifice.

Attached Files:

2. adampaul1964

The memorial as it is now is temporary, and a permanent one is scheduled to open in 2011. The new one will be at the crash site itself whilst the memorial now is several hundred yards away from the site, where only the victim's family members are permitted.

Attached Files:

3. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i visited ground zero while i was in new york on a school trip and i was overwhelmed at how i felt. i've never been moved so much by place like that.
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i have always wanted to visit the memorials and pay respects
  5. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS Rockstar

Very cool. I want to visit ground zero someday. I will always remember that day like it was yesterday.

On a side note, I think they should show some of the footage every so often, so this country doesn't forget why we are at war.
  6. adampaul1964

I think that would be very difficult for the families of those involved, but I know what you mean. We tend to forget very quickly.
  7. CoolBlueSS

CoolBlueSS Rockstar

True. That was my point, though. I hear people complain about the war, and bad mouthing Bush for getting us into this. But, they tend to forget that these people attacked us. They didn't hit a military target like the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor. They hit civilian targets. Imo, this war should have been over on September 12, 2001. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox. lol.
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It's hard to imagine what would have happened if that plane were to continue onto it's target. The white house, the capital building, the supreme court? Once regular citizens on the plane figured out that this takeover wasn't going to be a random demand, but rather an airplane-missle, they acted and stopped the terrorist from hitting their objective. I am very thankful for their sacrifice.

Memorials are very important, especially as "we" forget over time, and our children need to learn from what happend, our sucesses and failures to act. Pearl Harbor was on my grandfather's mind through to the end of his life,but for me it was an event that occured over 30 years before my birth. I'm grateful when I see a "Pearl Harbor Survivor" license plate going down the road ... even those they were common 15 years ago, now they are rare.

I drove through the battlefield memorial at Vicksburg for a battle that happened in 1864? (see, even I forget) but it was so important to the people who fought, their children and even grandchildren ... they spent a lot of money to memorialize the event.

I hope to get up there after the memorial opens and pay my respects too.
  9. redneckarmyMP

redneckarmyMP Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i wouldnt mind going myself before i leave.im headed to iraq next year for a 12-13 month deployment then about 9 months after im back home ill be volunteering to go with a different unit headed to afghanistan
  10. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well said Adam, that day is etched in my memory, and the thought of what those people (heros) did for their country on that day makes me so proud to be an american.