Flomaster Exhaust

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by JohnRoss1986, Apr 1, 2013.

1. JohnRoss1986

JohnRoss1986 New Member

Alright boys, it's time for exhaust. I've done some research and it looks like Flomaster True Duals 40 Series is really popular. I just don't know what it sounds like. I want something everyone can hear, but not so loud that its annoying for my neighbors.

Suggestions!

2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a single flowmaster 50 series and it's loud enough that with the truck 200' from my apartment and all windows shut, it's CLEARLY audible from inside when I remote start it ... and as it sits and warms up. The rumbling glug-glug-glug is throaty ... despite living in a heavily wooded environment where trees buffer some of the sound.

When at the family lake house I can hear it down in the basement when I remote start the trucjh, too -- despite the beasement being earth on three sides and having only 2 windows and two french doors (facing away from where the truck is parked). That's a heavily wooded environment, too.

True duals are going to be loud ... and you can expect a good bit of cab drone, too. Here are some on a 5.3L:

3. I have the series 40 muffler and it sounds great. It's loud but not abnouxious. And when you step on it people turn heads. Full exhaust may sound different though.

4. JohnRoss1986

JohnRoss1986 New Member

I'm thinking about just getting dual exhaust, it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper than true duals.

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my last truck (05 sierra) had a single into dual super 40. it was loud, and it droned pretty good around 50-65 ish. i have a regualr 40 with stock pipe on my current truck, and I like it alot better, almost no drone, quiet unless you get on it.

Alex

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well, are you modifying your exhaust purely for sound reasons or are you trying to improve exhaust flow (so that you can then send more air into the engine thanks to the increased flow)? If for sound, only, then just go dual exhaust and save the cash. If for improved flow (which isn't terribly relevant if you're not also increasing flow on the intake side), you need true duals...

7. JohnRoss1986

JohnRoss1986 New Member

It's purely for sound. I was thinking about installing a cold air intake too, but its kind of pointless with without true duals.

8. 1500-king

1500-king New Member

I am in the same boat. I have 2002 1500 2wd stock exaust..I am looking for sound I guess. I am willing to get a cold air intake and duals if there is a performance reason for it. is that what you meant by getting more air into manifold?

9. hmccall3

hmccall3 New Member

I have an 01 Silverado with a 5.3. I tried Flowmaster 4 series dual exaust but the drone was unbearable around 60-65. Switched to spintech and no drone whatsoever, but at startup and anytime I put my foot in it she sounds pretty mean!

10. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I think the reason why It's the most popular is because it's cheap, from the trucks I have heard with them on the drone is horrible. I won't run em, but to each there own.